Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Kate35

Faecal Calprotectin Test-Anyone Has Heard Of It?

Rate this topic

Hello. I was diagnosed with celiac disease 6 years ago. I tested both of my kids at that time and they were negative, but one was positive for both genes DQ8 and DQ2 and another was only positive for DQ2. The child who tested positive for both genes does not seem to have problems with gluten. The other child has major GI issues. We eat mostly gluten-free at home , but I let them eat gluten at school occasionally. His pediatrician thought that his GI issues could be caused by IBD and ordered fecal calprotectin test which came back elevated (300). His symptoms are gas, bloating, green loose stool (once a day, not diahrea). His pediatrician said that since he is only positive for DQ8, his chance of developing celiac is very low and we should not worry about it. He dropped in the growth curve and Is Very skinny (5%percentile for weight). I took him to GI who is concerned with the positive calprotectin test and wants to do endoscopy and colonoscopy to check for IBD and/celiac. He wants him to go back on gluten diet though.

The problem-he immediately felt better on gluten-free/dairy free diet. Even his stool has gotten solid! He still occasionally gets GI discomfort, but it dramatically improved! I am trying to introduce dairy back, but I am reluctant to go back on gluten since he feels so much better and even gained a couple pounds. Anyone had experience with that? Anyone d do heard of calprotectin test? I told doctor No to testing, that I would like to keep him on gluten-free diet, but he yelled at me saying that it could be Crohn among other things and that I am restricting my child's diet without any reason! I asked him if there was any benefit in gluten and he says:@ if course! Whatever you read on the Internet is false!"

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

In children it can be important to get a diagnosis so they can get the accomodations they need at school and college. Did they run a celiac panel on him before you took him gluten free? He could very well have celiac even with just the one gene. The fact that his symptoms have improved gluten free IMHO is signifiacant. How long has he been gluten free?

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

My daughter had the calprotectin test done prior to diagnosis. Fron what the Dr told me it only reveals the presence of inflammatio in the stool, but not the cause of inflammation. So, it could be caused by any number of GI issues. I would highly suspect celiac for your son but knowing for sure would be usefully for school etc. The dr had no right to tell at you.

Join eNewsletter