Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Amina82

Questions about my GI appointment.

Rate this topic

I had my GI appointment today with regard to my fatty liver with elevated enzymes. I had to do a lot of blood work for various autoimmune liver diseases. They tested me for Celiac disease too. I'm wondering how conclusive the blood test is ? Based on my symptoms and Mother's history of Celiac and ulcerative colitis they seemed to think I could be Celiac. 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac testing is quite specific and conclusive with the exceptuion of the TTG which can, as I understand it, at times be elevated due to other causes.  The whole panel does not need to be positive to be celiac. Some folks are only positive on one test. Hopefully your doctor also did a Total IGA as if you are deficient that can cause a false negative.

Having elevated liver enzymes at diagnosis is not unusual.  Prediagnosis my doctors were convinced I drank heavily, I don't. My liver panels returned to normal after I healed and hopefully yours will also. Please be sure to not drink any alcohol until those panels return to normal.

Your doctor may want to do an endoscopy so do stay on gluten until that is done if you are choosing to have one done.

I hope you get some answers and are feeling better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

They did a Serum Iga? In August when I was 100% gluten free my liver enzymes went down a lot. From October until about two weeks ago, I was consuming gluten from a few sources without knowing it. In November the  liver enzymes spliked up again. . Not a lot but enough to cause my primary to send me to a GI. So I have been mainly gluten-free since July so that's why I wonder if this test will come back correctly. 

Join eNewsletter