Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

kellibee

Eyes feel weird after getting glutened

Rate this topic

Just wondering if anyone else's eyes feel really weird when they get glutened, as though it's really hard to look at stuff.   My vision itself is fine, but it's almost unbearable to look at things, like that weird feeling when you try on glasses with a prescription that is too strong.  Needless to say, it makes driving and getting through a day of working at a computer pretty rough.  The eye stuff happens along with my other celiac episode symptoms... bloating like I'm 6 months pregnant, brain fog, headache, awful anxiety, muscle tension, joint pain, exhaustion and an unhappy digestive system all at the same time, so I know it's related.  I have just never seen anyone else mention this particular symptom and am wondering if it happens to anyone else.   Thanks all!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

YES! This is one of my major symptoms and I didn't even realize it before I was diagnosed and went gluten free. About a week after going gluten-free, I walked outside and looked around and thought "OMG, everything is so sharp!" It was like someone had switched me from standard definition to high definition. 

The few times I have gotten glutened through cross contamination since then, I notice it the next morning when everything is blurry, especially through my left eye. I am near-sighted and have worn glasses since I was 5, and I had to go get new glasses because my eyesight improved that much.

Join eNewsletter

Yup. I have bad vision as it is, but glutenings (or with me, getting into anything that bothers my gut) make my eyes go even more wonky. Aside from difficulty focusing, it feels like there's a film over my eyes: like my glasses are dirty despite having cleaned them a million times. I wouldn't say that it's hard to look at things, but definitely feel more sensitive to bright light, and it's generally harder to focus.

I don't really know what to do about it, other than rest your eyes as much as you can (which can be difficult when your job might involve staring and a screen)

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

Join eNewsletter

"film over my eyes" is a great description. It makes me want to put a lot of drops in my eyes, but it doesn't actually help.

Join eNewsletter