Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
Tom G

Gallstones, CCK Deficiency?

Rate this topic

Hello.  I am new to the forum.  I was diagnosed in 2000.  In a recent ultrasound a smaller sized gallstone was found.  In researching, I found that stones can form from CCK (cholecystokinin) deficiency, and that people with Celiac disease can have CCK deficiency, as the hormone is formed in the duodenum.  This was all news to me.  I don't have symptoms from the gallstone, and would like to do what I can to prevent it from getting bigger and causing problems down the road.  If I am CCK deficient, I would like to know what dietary or supplementation changes I can make to address it.  Is anyone familiar with this?  Thank you.  

Hi! Many people get gallstones at some point in their lives. A low fat and high fiber diet help I've heard it helps keep the bile as a liquid instead of the cholesterol hardening. Also If you consume too few calories that can give you gallstones too. I didn't know about CCK deficiency in people with celiac disease I wonder if I have that.. how do you find out? I know I didn't have any gallstones then all of a sudden I had a gallstone attack with 30 stones impacted in there. This was very odd because I'm only 21 and this sort of thing usually happens to older people. Did you ask the doctor if there was anything you could specifically do to help?