This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Questions On Celiac

cherie012

cherie012 Apprentice

Hi All~ Last week my 2 year old tested + for 2 of the celiac genes. Coupled with his symptoms, I am nearly 100% sure this is his problem, his scope results and blood work will be in this weekend..

Now. Turning the tables to me. I have read there is a genetic factor to celiac. I am wondering if this is my issue as well? I have graves. As does my brother. My dad has lupus. My understanding is both of these conditions are linked to celiac, in particular the genes that my son has tested + for.

I question celiac now for me because I have always had bouts of GI issues, labeled irritable bowel. From very young. And, for the past 8-9 months now I've had hives. No known origin, it seems, at least not environmental or seasonal. I have noticed they get WAY worse after eating..... sandwiches.15 grain whole wheat no less. :unsure: if I consume a large quantity of these items, the following day my lips, eyes, and face swell horribly. I have hives from head to toe. Antihistamines won't work on them. On days I consume lesser of the wheat family, the lesser the hives are..

Now, I know there are atypical presentations, but could this be it? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I mean, my peanut got this from somewhere, and seeing that my DH is japanese ( very low incidence I have heard) and has no issues whatsoever resembling all of this stuff, then I am assuming he has got it from me.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I have spent the past week researching ALOT. and lightbulbs are finally coming on. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I think you are probably right. He did get those genes from someone. I have Graves too....at first I assumed it was the Graves causing my symptoms but my PTU wasnt eliminating the symptoms and it always had worked very quickly in the past. I got talked into radioactive iodine and even after going hypo and then stabalizing my levels...my symptoms just got worse and worse. Nearly 3 years later I went on a gluten-free diet and most of my symptoms disappeared. I tested positive for gluten intolerance but dont carry either of the main Celiac genes. My face and hands also get very puffy and swollen from gluten. I also have had to eliminate dairy and I'm still figuring out other sensitivities. There is a big link between celiac and thyroid disease so I think you're on the right track. Why not get tested? I'm doing much better now...I was on disability for 2 years after my radioactive iodine and doctors couldnt figure anything out. 1 month after the diet and I was back at work and havent missed a day yet. :D

cherie012 Apprentice
I think you are probably right. He did get those genes from someone. I have Graves too....at first I assumed it was the Graves causing my symptoms but my PTU wasnt eliminating the symptoms and it always had worked very quickly in the past. I got talked into radioactive iodine and even after going hypo and then stabalizing my levels...my symptoms just got worse and worse. Nearly 3 years later I went on a gluten-free diet and most of my symptoms disappeared. I tested positive for gluten intolerance but dont carry either of the main Celiac genes. My face and hands also get very puffy and swollen from gluten. I also have had to eliminate dairy and I'm still figuring out other sensitivities. There is a big link between celiac and thyroid disease so I think you're on the right track. Why not get tested? I'm doing much better now...I was on disability for 2 years after my radioactive iodine and doctors couldnt figure anything out. 1 month after the diet and I was back at work and havent missed a day yet. :D

I took PTU forever. somewhere along the line, after many, many years of my thyroid being high and 4 pregnancies, it finally gave out. Now, it is low ( easier to deal with than high, though!) my baby brother just underwent the radioactive iodine 6 months ago, they gave him double the normal dosage, and lo and behold, his thyroid is high again... So... I have fowarded all info on this stuff I have found over the past week or so.

I will get checked. But, I am also going to start the gluten-free diet tomorrow with my baby. If my symptoms subside, then I'll just take that as my cue~ I am tired of feeling miserable <_<

Archived