This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ema And Ttg Tests

chaddwell

chaddwell Apprentice

Hello,

I had mentioned in my very first post that I was tested for celiac disease in 99 and that panel included the EMA, not the tTG. My EMA at that time was a high positive, 35. Biopsy shortly later was negative. Doctor said it may have been early or patchy disease.

Fast forward 3 years to 2002...I was retested for celiac by the same doctor only this time my tests did NOT include the EMA which was previously positive. This panel had the tTG and it was negative as all my other tests. So this time the doctor concluded that I don't have it, take more fiber.

My question is this...should I believe that the EMA was a true positive or a false positive because the tTG was negative at a later date? I don't know if you can actually answer that or not but any info you have about these two tests would be appreciated.

I read that they both measure the same damage and the EMA was being replaced by the tTG. My fear now is that I won't be able to get the EMA test done, that's the one I want. I go to Quest for blood work and I know if they don't feel an ordered test is necessary based on the other test results they won't do it. I don't like that. I want the EMA ran because of the previous positive. My first EMA wasn't done by Quest though.

I also read that the probability/specificity of the EMA for being a true positive was around the 97% range. I know it was pretty high in the 90s. All these years and especially now since reading those numbers I keep wondering if that test is true. But my doc thought it was false.

Has anyone here with celiac had a positive EMA and a negative tTG? I posted that I am seeing a GI on the 12th. I hope I will be able to get the EMA redone. This is a new doctor since I moved to another state. Should I mention that I was retested and that came out negative or just mention the first positive and the biopsy?

Any info anyone can shed on these two tests would be appreciated. For some reason in my mind being tested for one with a positive result and then retested with another test and getting a negative don't equal one another, like apples and oranges. But like I said, I read that EMA and tTG measure the same thing and the tTG is taking the place of EMA.

OK, I'm rambling. Looking forward to your input.

Thanks.

Channon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived