This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Digestive issues post gluten-free: Healing or what?

tamin8

tamin8 Rookie

I have been gluten free for about 2 months, been knowingly glutened once.

I am also dairy-free, and grain-free (except for rice) mainly because I also react to corn similarly to wheat.

I am feeling much better, some 50-70% of my brain fog (which is the most prominent symptom) already vanished. However, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. For quite a while now (a few weeks) I've been having digestive issues that I didn't even have before I went gluten-free. For the first few days gluten free, I had unreal appetite for food, like I-can't-stop-eating-and-now-I'm-too-full kind of appetite. That all changed now.

My stomach is fine, the problem is in my small intestine. I have visible bloating, general discomfort, and I always feel like the food is stuck there sitting for days and not being digested or absorbed with nonrelieving belching and sounds. It's really hard to describe; I feel like my intestines are constantly and persistently full of garbage and undigested rotting food that bloats me up, and feels like it would take 10 years of belching and passing gas on a water fast to finally clean out and flush. What I want right now is for something to run through my gut and push every molecule of food and liquid out of my body so that I can be finally relieved. That's what it is.

From what I understand I might be having difficulty digesting food and/or having gut bacteria issues, so I am trying to limit my fat/fiber intake and eat simpler foods; however that doesn't seem to be making that much of a change. I cannot take digestive enzymes to help because they're unavoidably derived from pigs (as far as I know) and my religion prohibits that. I am getting adequate hydration, it helps a bit but doesn't tackle the issue.

I want to ask if someone has experienced something similar, how long it takes to go away, and what I can do to help with it. Due to this issue I am losing weight due to the mere inability to eat sometimes. I am afraid of going downhill on a diet that's supposed to make me feel better. I almost said screw it and started eating gluten again; because some points during this  journey have been pure misery. I don't get it: I'm supposed to be healing, right?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Think of your intestines like they are carpet burned, avoid spices, acidic foods, nightshades, peppers, onions, and garlic IE anything that might irritate it. Stew/cook stuff til super tender and easy to digest.
I do take pig pancreas enzymes since my does not work, but in my search I have come across many vegan options..I think Jarrow Used to make a vegan one and bromalain to break down protein is from pineapples.
>.< Fat will rarely cause bloating but can cause indigestion. The carbs will ferment, the protein can break down, and the solvable types of fiber can feed your gut bacteria thus all causing bloat and gas. Sorta why I love the paleo diet with Keto Macros. There will be a huge change in your gut biome as you transtation any type of diet with die off from some bacteria and thriving of others.

I know the flush it all out feeling...Magnesium Citrate will do that if you want 1-2 bottles of the laxative or 16-25g of magnesium calm and your flush the whole system....Not suggested unless you have major constipation issues. But taking the regular amounts (2-6g) of magnesium calm could help keep moisture in you intestines and keep them moving properly.

I know I have a few dishes I normally turn to when my guts are bother me like cooking lean ground beef in water with tumeric, and eggs with a bit of black pepper and omit the normal onions and garlic. Or make a egg dish a bit like a cross between a fritta and a custard by mixing in some almond flour, coconut flour, eggs, egg whites, and almond milk and cooking on low so it stays soft and easy to digest...can season with herbs

tamin8 Rookie
8 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Think of your intestines like they are carpet burned, avoid spices, acidic foods, nightshades, peppers, onions, and garlic IE anything that might irritate it. Stew/cook stuff til super tender and easy to digest.
I do take pig pancreas enzymes since my does not work, but in my search I have come across many vegan options..I think Jarrow Used to make a vegan one and bromalain to break down protein is from pineapples.
>.< Fat will rarely cause bloating but can cause indigestion. The carbs will ferment, the protein can break down, and the solvable types of fiber can feed your gut bacteria thus all causing bloat and gas. Sorta why I love the paleo diet with Keto Macros. There will be a huge change in your gut biome as you transtation any type of diet with die off from some bacteria and thriving of others.

I know the flush it all out feeling...Magnesium Citrate will do that if you want 1-2 bottles of the laxative or 16-25g of magnesium calm and your flush the whole system....Not suggested unless you have major constipation issues. But taking the regular amounts (2-6g) of magnesium calm could help keep moisture in you intestines and keep them moving properly.

I know I have a few dishes I normally turn to when my guts are bother me like cooking lean ground beef in water with tumeric, and eggs with a bit of black pepper and omit the normal onions and garlic. Or make a egg dish a bit like a cross between a fritta and a custard by mixing in some almond flour, coconut flour, eggs, egg whites, and almond milk and cooking on low so it stays soft and easy to digest...can season with herbs

Thank you so much for all the tips, the info, and the recipes. Really, I do appreciate it. I will make sure to tailor my diet for my inflamed intestines. As for vegan digestive enzymes... (like papain and bromalain) I don't really think I will find these in my region. I asked two pharmacists, both of them didn't have any digestive enzymes and only had co-enzyme Q10 which is not what I want. I guess I'll just stick to the natural stuff and hope for the best.

I don't take any vitamins or supplements besides magnesium, if you know of any that can further help with the situation do not hesitate to mention. I heard exercise helps with digestion as well, but I'm not sure if that's valid for someone like me. I can't really manage exercise at the moment due to lack of energy and just feeling like crap in general. If I have to force myself to squeeze out a few minutes, I will; given there are benefits of course.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I do yoga on off days and low impact walking, if you keep moving it helps with digestion and keeping the stuff moving.