This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Malabsorbtion

Lee.P

Lee.P Newbie

Hi all,

As a celiac, I've struggled all my life with being unable to gain weight no matter what I eat.ive tried various nutritionists/programs and eating lots!  but no joy.i take regular supplements and vitamins. I've tried various protein powders but find they bloat me. It's been suggested I may have malabsorption syndrome. Does anyone else have this or conquered being unable to gain weight?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Lee.P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Started more resistance training and weight training, went to a high protein take of a keto diet. For protein powders I found issues with many and I have seen significant muscle increase changing to Beef Protein Isolate, Egg White, Collagen, bone broth and Pumpkin Seed Protein. I use smooth nut/seed butters like Almond, Pumpkin Seed, Hazelnut, Macadamia, Walnut, and pecan butters milled super smooth and pourable.
I also eat what whole foods I can mostly eggs, fish, and bacon right now along with greens. I myself am having digestion issues so off most meats, and veggies right now and FOR ME carbs have negative effects on my health. But if your fine with them I would suggest some Baked Sweet Potatoes, steaks, plenty of leafy greens etc. And use fruit as a dessert if you can. >.< I normally just make baked goods out of almond/coconut flour bases but my gut is picky now.
Taking digestive enzymes in the amount needed to break down what you eat can increase the nutrients you absorb while reducing bloating.
Use a fitness tracker and something to record your calorie intake and burn like fitbit or myfitness pal. I found I burn over 3000 calories a day avg. and every now and then exceed 4k. You have to eat more then your burn to gain weight.

A good point here is are you a celiac? And if so are you getting exposure? Might be a good idea to get your antibodies checked and see if they are still raised or come down. And perhaps a scope to see how you have healed (we are supposed to get follow up care yearly) In most cases nutrient absorption starts to go up as you heal, for me it took a few more years to see a good amount of gained muscle mass.

Lee.P Newbie
16 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Started more resistance training and weight training, went to a high protein take of a keto diet. For protein powders I found issues with many and I have seen significant muscle increase changing to Beef Protein Isolate, Egg White, Collagen, bone broth and Pumpkin Seed Protein. I use smooth nut/seed butters like Almond, Pumpkin Seed, Hazelnut, Macadamia, Walnut, and pecan butters milled super smooth and pourable.
I also eat what whole foods I can mostly eggs, fish, and bacon right now along with greens. I myself am having digestion issues so off most meats, and veggies right now and FOR ME carbs have negative effects on my health. But if your fine with them I would suggest some Baked Sweet Potatoes, steaks, plenty of leafy greens etc. And use fruit as a dessert if you can. >.< I normally just make baked goods out of almond/coconut flour bases but my gut is picky now.
Taking digestive enzymes in the amount needed to break down what you eat can increase the nutrients you absorb while reducing bloating.
Use a fitness tracker and something to record your calorie intake and burn like fitbit or myfitness pal. I found I burn over 3000 calories a day avg. and every now and then exceed 4k. You have to eat more then your burn to gain weight.

A good point here is are you a celiac? And if so are you getting exposure? Might be a good idea to get your antibodies checked and see if they are still raised or come down. And perhaps a scope to see how you have healed (we are supposed to get follow up care yearly) In most cases nutrient absorption starts to go up as you heal, for me it took a few more years to see a good amount of gained muscle mass.

Thanks for this info, it's really useful and will try your suggestions. Thanks again.