This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

North Carolina Around Smithfield

jmj0803

jmj0803 Apprentice

Hi everyone-

I was hoping someone out there might be able to help me out. We will be in Smithfield, North Carolina for a few days and need some help with food stores and dining options. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Turtle Enthusiast

Hey!

I currently live in Wilson, NC (just outside of Smithfield) but have also lived in Raleigh and Angier over the past few years which are also outside of Smithfield. Unfortunately, I have not had ANY luck w/ eating out in any of these areas & have stopped eating out all together b/c of cross contamination. Of course Outback has a gluten-free menu so you may be able to locate one of those nearby via their website. And there is a PF Changs at Crabtree Mall in Raleigh but I haven't tried it. Please note that these places may be farther than you would like to drive.

In terms of stores to shop at for gluten-free food. I have to commute to Raleigh for this myself. There is a Whole Foods in Raleigh, NC (it's a good 45min from Smithfield give or take) and i've also had some luck at some of the local Krogers in the Raleigh area for gluten-free items.

When I travel I try to book a room that has a kitchenette in it so I can do some of my own cooking. YES, this requires some preplanning & can be a pain but it's worth it so I can eat something decent. I keep a rubbermaid tuff bin thing w/ a pot, pan and some utensils in it that is my "gluten-free travel bin". Sounds crazy but it really pays off. I then add to the bin gluten-free foods, etc. so I can prepare food while away from home.

I also always pack a cooler w/ gluten-free foods, including some premade things that I can simply warm up in the microwave. I sometimes take my small foreman w/ me too so I can make some grilled cheese sandwiches or turkey burgers or whatever on it.

Hope this helps....e-mail me at turtledupree@hotmail.com if you need directions to anywhere or if I can be of more help! GOOD LUCK!

Archived