• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

caandahl

New Mwmber,new Diagnosis

Rate this topic

I have a 13 yr old that has had type 1 diabetes for 5 yrs,and was just dx'd w/celiac,last month.

I also have a 4 yr old w/severe autism and other things,and a mostly typical 5 yr old.

I would aprriciate any suggestions,on making the family gluten-free,and any info.

Thanks

Guest nini

welcome to the board. The easiest way to take your family gluten-free, is to stick with foods that are naturally gluten-free. Plain meats and proteins (seeds and nuts), Simple dairy products, fresh fruits and vegetables, starches like potatos, rice and corn... there are so many healthy foods that are naturally gluten-free... and with a few gluten-free staples like a good gluten-free pasta (like Tinkyada rice pasta) you can make just about any family fave dish.

Feel free to ask any questions. There are a lot of mainstream products that are also naturally gluten-free, so you can still have some junk foods and things like salad dressings, sauces and even candy...

I can e-mail you a newbie survival kit that I have put together, it's a collection of files I wish I had when I was first dx'ed. Just e-mail me at nisla@comcast.net and put "request newbie survival kit" in the subject line. I will send the files on to you as soon as I can.

Hi! Welcome to the board!

Once you get the hang of it, the gluten free diet really becomes second nature - in fact, I can hardly remember what it was like eating gluten-filled stuff! LOL!

Is your whole house going gluten free? If that is the case, you don't have to worry about any cross-contamination issues. It makes life alot easier, especially with children. In my family, I am the only one with celiac, and I have four children and a husband who all eat a regular diet. When I am making food for the kids, sandwiches, etc. or giving out cookies, I am forever wiping gluten-filled crumbs off of the counter!

I would suggest first and foremost getting yourself a copy of the delphi gluten free list. It is invaluable - a must have!

Firstly, go here: http://www.delphiforums.com/

Then on the left hand side, click on Health & Wellness. The first (sometimes second) forum that comes up is the Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group, click on that. (You will need to register, but it is free..)

Once you are in there, you scroll down until you see "Gluten Free Products List". Click on that. You will be absolutely amazed what mainstream items we can have. And it's listed in convenient categories, making it so much easier when we are out shopping. There is a section you can go into to download it and print it off.

Also, there are companies that are very celiac friendly. Kraft is one of them. Kraft will always list if there is a gluten ingredient in it. We are very loyal to Kraft!

You have probably read up and discovered that there is documented proof that there is a link between gluten and autism. There have been many documented instances where there was a vast improvement once the gluten free diet was started......

I am sure others will pipe in, just wanted to welcome you and say "Glad you found us!"

Hugs.

Karen

Guest nini

you don't have to go through all of that to get the Delphi list, it is part of the Newbie kit I put together, so I can e-mail it to you if you want...

you don't have to go through all of that to get the Delphi list, it is part of the Newbie kit I put together, so I can e-mail it to you if you want...

You are so good, nini!!! You rock!

Guest nini
You are so good, nini!!! You rock!

lol Karen, I just try to make it as easy as possible for the newbies!