• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

HeatherG

Now I'm Completely Confused...

Rate this topic

I posted last week about my daughter who has had intestial issues nearly all her life. Back when she was 18 months she had a celiac blood panel. Only the anti-gliadin IgG was positive - at 85. They told me that meant nothing. So last week we decided to have this run again along with an total serum IgA. She's not IgA deficient. The IgA tests as well as the tTG are negative but the IgG is still positive. HOWEVER, the number was only 14. On the test when she was a baby that would have been negative. On this test the range was positive for over 9. Even with that change, wouldn't you expect if celiac or gluten sensitivity was her problem and we haven't been gluten-free that the number would stay the same or go UP???? The recent test gave a measurment of u/ml but the old test just said Units. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Our ped said he really didn't know so I'm waiting to hear from the GI docs office. We aren't patients there yet so who knows.

Heather

Guest nini

I have seen in a lot of cases that the results of the tests are highly subjective, dependent completely on the lab processing the results and interpreting them. From what I've read those tests are highly unreliable in children anyway. They can be used as a screening process and to rule it in, but keep in mind these tests can never completely rule celiac OUT.

Ultimately in my personal opinion, as a mother of a celiac child and I have celiac myself, the best diagnostic test is dietary response. How does the person respond to the diet? Many Dr.s still want to rely solely on blood tests and biopsies, and in doing so they are missing a large portion of the population that is suffering from EARLY stages of Celiac that are hard to diagnose by tests.