Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elisa

10 Year Old With Celiac

I have a friend whose 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac 2 mo. ago. Since I was diagnosed with Celiac 3 years ago (as a 40 year old who had symptoms since childhood), my friend visited with me about her daughter's symptoms. She is on a a completely gluten-free and dairy free diet (and she doesn't cheat - she is miserable and wants to feel well). What concerns me is that after 2 mo. she has gained a little weight, but actually feels worse. They have narrowed things down to fat. If she eats anything that is not 100% fat free, she feels terrible. Her mom assumed this is part of the Celiac problem, but I wonder if she should get checked out to see if there is a problem with her gall bladder or pancreas. Do any of you have children who cannot tolerate any fat as a result of Celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

She definitely needs to get checked for gallbladder, pancreatic or other problems. Malabsorption of fat can occur with celiac damage and it may take quite a while for her gut to heal. She will have a harder time gaining weight without fat (fat has more than double the calories of carbs/protein for the same weight). Also, a number of vitamins are only soluble in fat so she should be under the care of a dietitian if she is eating absolutely no fat.