Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toofatcats

Millet & Flax Seed Chips?

Hi there,

I am a huge fan of the millet & flax seed chips that I've found (made by Sami's bakery). They have a few varieties (garlic, cinnamon/sugar (xylitol maybe?)) but they are kind of expensive and I would love to be able to make them myself. Does anyone have a recipe for Millet & Flax Chips? They are thicker than a tortilla chip or a cracker. Can you help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi there,

I am a huge fan of the millet & flax seed chips that I've found (made by Sami's bakery). They have a few varieties (garlic, cinnamon/sugar (xylitol maybe?)) but they are kind of expensive and I would love to be able to make them myself. Does anyone have a recipe for Millet & Flax Chips? They are thicker than a tortilla chip or a cracker. Can you help?

Ha! That is very funny, I just googled recipes too for the exact same reason for the same chips. I joined this forum last month to help a friend living in Moscow who's just developed a gluten allergy and can't get good advice over there. Did you come up with any recipes? I'm just about to make them in my kitchen. I am going to try 3/4 millet flour, 1/4 brown rice flour and guess on the baking powder and flax seed amounts. I'm also going to grind up some of the flax seed because they have a lot of mucilage and I think that might help keep the chips sticking together. I also imagine there's a pretty good amount of olive oil in it since the come out so crispy. I'll let you know.

Ha! That is very funny, I just googled recipes too for the exact same reason for the same chips. I joined this forum last month to help a friend living in Moscow who's just developed a gluten allergy and can't get good advice over there. Did you come up with any recipes? I'm just about to make them in my kitchen. I am going to try 3/4 millet flour, 1/4 brown rice flour and guess on the baking powder and flax seed amounts. I'm also going to grind up some of the flax seed because they have a lot of mucilage and I think that might help keep the chips sticking together. I also imagine there's a pretty good amount of olive oil in it since the come out so crispy. I'll let you know.

According to what you've just described, I would include 1/4 either tapicoa or arrowroot starch, and make it 1/2 millet. That's just what I've had good experience with, it might come out great without some starch, but I have yet to find a recipe that does.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

I know this is an old thread...but just curious if you guys were able to get the recipe figured out? I totally LOVE those crackers!!! (Especially the cinnamon sugar ones!!)

I know this is an old thread...but just curious if you guys were able to get the recipe figured out? I totally LOVE those crackers!!! (Especially the cinnamon sugar ones!!)

According to Sami's Bakery, these are the items in the millet chips - cinnamon my favorite. Smile.

Ingredients

Millet Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Ground Flax, Water, Cinnamon, Brown Sugar and Cane Sugar, Olive Oil ,Sea Salt , Non Aluminum Baking Powder.

I would definitely agree to using more millet flour than brown rice flour. Water and olive oil would be small amount so you could shape and flatten the dough - kind of like biscuit dough consistency. Baking powder probably 1/2 to cup of flour. Don't want it to rise too much. Thinking cinnamon and brown sugar are mixed to be sprinkled on top. Hope this helps.

I did notice they sell the above chips at their site, www.SamisBakery.com for only $3.09. The store I shop at sells them for $5 or $6 now. Guess it would be wise to order online...depending on shipping costs.