Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alexisb

Has Pregnancy Reduced Anyone's Reactions?

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and have tried to be vigilant about what I've eaten, but several times recently we've been out to dinner at places that were LESS than accomodating... (in other words, I was served soy sauce on some veggies, etc.) I feel almost certain that I'd have had some sort of classic GI reaction to eating out like I normally would, but I haven't.

Is there any research or anone who has experienced a temporary improvement in reaction to glutening just because of pregnancy? I'm so curious to hear what anyone has to say... Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Actually, for me, pregnancy was the first clue for me (in retrospect) that something wasn't right GI-wise. I had hyperemesis with all 3 pregnancies, and I now suspect gluten to have had a major involvement in that. I dutifully tried to eat crackers all the time, and of course, they wouldn't stay down! Hardly anything else did, either.

What did stay down were Corn Chex (which are not gluten-free, but a heckuva lot lower in gluten than crackers!) and strawberries.

I have read that in many autoimmune disorders, such as RA, MS, or lupus, pregnancy can trigger either a remission or an onset. Since those diseases are almost certainly linked with gluten anyway, what you are asking makes perfect sense.

Guest cassidy

Pregnancy has totally reduced my symptoms. Usually I have a horrible stomach ache that lasts for hours, a 24 hour migraine, anxiety, shakiness, heartburn and I don't feel 100% for a few weeks. I've been glutened twice and I had D for about 5 days. That is longer than normal but I didn't have any other symptoms except some gas.

Your immune system is not working at full strength when you are pregnant so your body will accept having the baby live inside you - that is why it takes pregnant women a long time to get over colds and flus can be dangerous. I assumed that was the cause of the reduced reactions. I'm crossing my fingers that after I have the baby my reactions will stay as mild, but I'm not counting on it.

I'm due on May 3rd - sounds like we are pretty close in due dates.

I was undiagnosed during both pregnancies. I gained so much weight, without eating any more food than I usually did. I have to say pregnancy reduces symptoms. During pregnancy your immune system is not fully functioning, or it would attack the baby. This is one of the reasons doctors tell you to avoid crowds when pregnant to reduce your chance of illness.

L.

Michigan