Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

es2443

Endoscopy

Since September I have put myself on a gluten free diet and now my doctor wants me to get a biopsy. He told me to reintroduce gluten into my diet for two weeks. Is two weeks enough time to get positive results? It seems to me like a short period of time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm afraid your doctor is as clueless as most doctors. If you have been gluten-free for four months, there is no way that two weeks would be enough to get a positive biopsy. You'd have to go back to eating at least four slices of bread for six months to a year to have a chance of a valid biopsy.

If the diet is helping you feel better, don't go back to eating gluten. It could cause irreparable damage and could make you much sicker than you were before you stopped eating gluten in September. Of course, it's your choice.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------