This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Day 10

JerryK

JerryK Community Regular

I've been sooooo good ever since the Italian restaurant. I've cooked everything I've eaten, making darn sure it's gluten-free. But yet, yesterday and today, I'm having symptoms again. Cramping, D and loose stools. I don't get it. Am I asking too much to have my symptoms abate so quickly or

did I get glutened??

I did have some coffee with coffeemate creamer, I thought it was gluten-free, thought I might have been wrong, but I look it up on the Internet and it is indeed gluten-free. What gives? Any ideas? Thanks, J

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Jerry, a few things come to mind. Are you still eating/drinking dairy? That could be the culprit. A lot of people thought they kept getting glutened, only to find out that those 'glutenings' were caused by dairy (or soy).

Also, maybe your system can't handle certain foods yet. For the first six months of being on the gluten-free diet, I was unable to eat anything raw. I had to even cook fruits, or I would get stomach cramps and diarrhea. I wasn't even able to eat a salad. I am fine with those things now (still only in moderation, though, and it's been a year and three months).

While your intestines are healing, you need to be careful to eat easily digestible foods. When you get symptoms again, it isn't necessarily always from gluten. I know, that makes it even more tricky, but that's the way it is.

luvkin Newbie

You are still healing. Some foods may not digest so well until your small intestine is working properly. I have been gluten free for 7 months. I have problems with pork, apricots and milk. I do not eat or drink too much of these because I get a stomach ache.

LisaJ Apprentice

Hi Jerry -

I had the same problem - felt fabulous the first week I went gluten free, then all of a sudden started getting D every day. After about a month (and some help from people at this site) finally figured out it was the dairy. I don't remember having issues with dairy before, but I sure have them now.

Could be one possiblity . . . good luck! Hope you feel better.

Archived