Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Eagle

Beri Beri

Guest Eagle

I was wondering if anyone else had gotten Beriberi and how they treated it. By the time I had gotten to the doctor my thiamine was barely within the normal range but it had already caused inflammation in my gastro tract and nerves in my back. I was wondering how much thiamine was added to the daily diet and for how long to get things working again. Unfortunately my doctor didn't even believe that I could have it because it just doesn't happen in the Western world except to malnourished people. Of course they don't believe I have Celiac either.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hey Eagle:

Beriberi, huh? Wow. Well, celiac can certainly cause malnutrition. I am in the process of a dx for neuro problems that include back spasms, weak legs and arms. My PCP only tested me for B12, which was in the 600's. I guess she feels that if my B12 is w/i normal ranges, the rest of my ranges should be OK. Hmmm. How were your other nutrient levels besides the thiamin deficiency?

Anyway, sorry I don't have any info for ya, but I thought it was interesting that you had gotten Beriberi. I wish you much success with your recovery!!!!!

Nama :)