Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dorgyll

Trying To Go Gluten-free Before Biopsy

Greetings everyone.

I appreciate any help you can give me on this. For the last few years I've been having some major issues with my... innards. So far, I've got at least nine of the seventeen symptoms listed here. (Diarrhea, constipation, vitamin deficiencies, fatigue, headaches, etc. are among the worst culprits.) I've been to the doctor around five times so far, and so far have had a colonoscopy and a medinical regime of Hycosamine.

Now, as the medicine isn't really helping at all, and most symptoms flare up after an ingestion of anything with Gluten (although I haven't tried a Gluten-Free diet quite yet, so most things I ingested probably had Gluten) I've decided to take up my doctor's offer of a biopsy. I wish to go Gluten-Free early so the symptoms have a chance of being relieved a bit quicker, as I've basically been a shut-in due to how often/terrible these are, and I'm quite eager to have some relief. But therein lies the question - would going Gluten-Free around three to four weeks before the Biopsy screw up the results? I believe it's also paired with blood work sometime after, would it interfere with that either?

Again, thanks for any help you can give me on the matter. I really appreciate it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Greetings everyone.

I appreciate any help you can give me on this. For the last few years I've been having some major issues with my... innards. So far, I've got at least nine of the seventeen symptoms listed here. (Diarrhea, constipation, vitamin deficiencies, fatigue, headaches, etc. are among the worst culprits.) I've been to the doctor around five times so far, and so far have had a colonoscopy and a medinical regime of Hycosamine.

Now, as the medicine isn't really helping at all, and most symptoms flare up after an ingestion of anything with Gluten (although I haven't tried a Gluten-Free diet quite yet, so most things I ingested probably had Gluten) I've decided to take up my doctor's offer of a biopsy. I wish to go Gluten-Free early so the symptoms have a chance of being relieved a bit quicker, as I've basically been a shut-in due to how often/terrible these are, and I'm quite eager to have some relief. But therein lies the question - would going Gluten-Free around three to four weeks before the Biopsy screw up the results? I believe it's also paired with blood work sometime after, would it interfere with that either?

Again, thanks for any help you can give me on the matter. I really appreciate it!

Yes, you HAvE to be eating gluten when the biopsy/bloodwork is done. Otherwise your intestines begin to heal, and your immune system isn't responding to gluten, so the results can come back false negative. I know your stress of not wanting to wait a minute longer to go gluten free, but you need to stay on gluten for a bit longer.

Guest j_mommy

Yup I agree. You need to keep eating gluten fr the biopsy and blood results to be true!

I would sugest that you get the blood results done prior to the biopsy, even the day of, so that you can go gluten-free after teh biopsy! Make sure they get 5-10 samples!

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Chances are if you have lumps on your body for years and the Dr. isn't concerned they're probably not lymph nodes. Chronically swollen lymph nodes would be something every Dr. would be concerned with.  Chances are you just have cysts ...
    It's different  for everyone, it can be a month or maybe a year. Most probably within a few months. This is assuming the symptoms are in fact related to gluten, which they may not be. 
    Hi Laura I'm so pleased you found answers.  This is very encouraging.  Seven years on from my own diagnosis I wish I could have some vitamin and mineral screening, I'm sure I'm still deficient. Cristiana