Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craftycat

1 1/2 Weeks Away From Testing

Hi,

Newbie here. A few doctors have mentioned Celiac disease to me and I'll be having an Endoscopy and Colonoscopy in about 1 1/2 weeks. Since researching this website, I discovered that I do have a lot of the symptoms. I'm especially happy to see that there are people who have gained weight with it. The doctor also suspects Crohn's disease, which is usually related to weight loss as well? I definitely don't have that problem. I not a big eater, but haven't been able to lose any weight for awhile now. I'm about 30-40 lbs overweight, but eat less than most people I know. I'm having a lot of pain in my lower right side, that radiates to my waist and aroung to my back. I don't have appendix or ovaries, so that's why the doctor feels it may be Crohn's disease. He said that is the area where the large intestine and small intestine connect and is typically where Crohn's disease starts.

I had some food allergy blood tests done back in 2001 and was found to be highly allergic to wheat bran. Also, some to soy, corn and very low to gluten. I went on a vegan diet (no meat or dairy) and was off wheat for about 7 months. (in 2001) Was also walking regularly and lost quite a bit of weight. My stomach and Fibromyalia symptoms were so much better and overall felt the best I had in a long time. However it was discouraging to be doing everything I thought was best for me and still feeling so tired all the time. I was still eating gluten though and now wondering if that was part of the problem? Also ate a lot of other grains.

Anyway the mystery will be over soon and I can figure out what diet is best for me. Even if the biopsy is negative for Celiac, I will probably try getting off of it and see how I feel. I'm so tired of feeling crappy and tired all the time. I get so confused as to what I should be eating or not eating. Nothing sounds good and I've lost my joy for cooking.

Appreciate any input or encouragement. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I just want to say welcome and good luck. The tests are a little scary at first but when you think that they are being done to help you feel better they do not seem as scary. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I just want to say welcome and good luck. The tests are a little scary at first but when you think that they are being done to help you feel better they do not seem as scary. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Appreciate your prayers. I'm just praying this will be an answer to my health issues and I can start to feel better soon. Would rather have something I can fix with diet, as opposed to something that requires medication. I've always had reactions to medications and don't take any on a regular basis right now. God knows what's best for me, and I will get through it.

I've had a pacemaker for over 9 years. I had a lot of complications with the first one and that whole ordeal was way worse. God brought me through all the procedures etc. and I know he'll get me through this as well.

Thanks for the encouragement

God Bless

Welcome to the board Crafycat.

That side pain stuff is fairly common, it should completely go away once you are gluten-free, I also suggest you just go dairy free at the same time. At least for the first 6 months. Read the Book "Dangerous Grains", be careful about adding in the gluten-free cookies, crackers etc, lot of cross contamination, plus you just might do well with grains. Better to heal some & then maybe try one thing at a time if you are wanting to.

I think you are going to feel much better gluten-free & Yes, you have to be completely gluten-free to feel better :)

Welcome to the board Crafycat.

That side pain stuff is fairly common, it should completely go away once you are gluten-free, I also suggest you just go dairy free at the same time. At least for the first 6 months. Read the Book "Dangerous Grains", be careful about adding in the gluten-free cookies, crackers etc, lot of cross contamination, plus you just might do well with grains. Better to heal some & then maybe try one thing at a time if you are wanting to.

I think you are going to feel much better gluten-free & Yes, you have to be completely gluten-free to feel better :)

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I did wonder if anyone with Celiac had the pain in the right side. Someone else was telling me awhile back about the book "Dangerous Grains". I will take your advice a get a copy. I've been lactose intolerant and was off of dairy etc. for several years. Just added it back the last couple of years and seem to be able to tolerate a little now. I'm sure if the Celiac is positive I'll take the advice and get off dairy completely again. I've read enough about it lately and most suggest no dairy. I've used soy milk and rice milk for years. (Just read that my rice milk has some gluten in it. I checked the label after reading one of the other posts) do you know of any brands of Rice milk that is gluten free? Guess I can always make my own too.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

The biopsy would need to come from your small intestine. That's where the damage is done from celiac. But you need to be on a gluten diet for the tests to be accurate. How long have you been on the PPIs? My hubby had severe acid reflux issues ...
    The doctor did 8 biopsy from the top of my throat to the bottom of my stomach....he thought I had H-Hyploi..but I did not. I am beginning to think they are missing my issues. He gave me some pump inhibitors, that's it. I have an appt. with...
    Your doctor would run a blood tests (ask for full celiac panel) and then confirm with endoscopy and biopsy celiac doesn't always show up on endoscopy and sometimes the biopsy is what confirms.