This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Virus Vs. Infection

someday

someday Rookie

Does anyone else seem to get every single virus in the neighborhood? I seem to be getting sick ALL the time and I was hoping it would get better with the new diet. I seem to get everything worse too, which doesn't seem to help everyone's idea that I am just being dramatic! My kids had a runny nose, mine turned into a sinus infection that has lasted a month. My kids had a slight cough a couple of months ago, mine turned into pnemonia. Now I have bronchitus and for some reason, blisters down the back of my throat. Is this a normal part of Celiac? I keep having blood tests, chest x-rays, and it seems like every other test they can think of, but I am still getting sick all the time. Not to mention my hair is falling out and I think I am anemic, AGAIN! AAAGGH! I would love to feel healthy for a couple of days!

Thanks for listening! :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

I tend to get whatever my son gets.

Also before I went gluten-free my hair was also falling out!!! I have been gluten-free since may and it's finally starting to not fall out!!!

gfpaperdoll Rookie

how long have you been gluten-free & what are you eating?

Are you also dairy free?

Guest thatchickali

Take probiotics!

Sorry I am in a hurry and don't have time to give a full explanation but send me a message if you want more information.

tarnalberry Community Regular

It depends. If I get regular exercise and sleep, nope. In the case of exercise and sleep, I stay healthy almost no matter what. If I don't do those (and I mean a good amount of non-trivial exercise and what my body needs of good quality sleep), then I tend to catch most things that go around. Diet is important as well, for me, making sure I'm eating a wide range of healthy, unprocessed foods.

mm&j Apprentice

Hi,

I am a fairly new Celiac and I catch everything, and when I get sick, I get sicker than everyone else with the same thing and it lasts ten times longer. I have had a cough, and congestion since May and can't seem to get rid of it...been sick every day of the summer with it and despite feeling better as far as the gluten-free part...I feel like I have pneumonia and the doctor just thinks it is allergy related since I have had it so long. I'm calling her tomorrow for about the tenth time on this. So, it may be common for Celiacs. I just know that my experience seems similar to what you are describing.

mm&j (Susie)

mm&j Apprentice

I forgot to add that I always get those blisters in my mouth and throat, too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

someday Rookie

I just started probiotics today and started taking B12 also. My doctor called today (Actually his nurse because it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to talk to the doctor). He said all of my test results are fine. I said so.....???What does that mean now?? They said I could try other things if I want, but my blood is fine. Yippee. <_<

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some of my symptoms will go away after B12 and probiotics!

GlutenWayne Newbie

Have you ever tried any "antiviral" treatment? There are different types of antiviral. My favorite is hydrogen peroxide. You can learn about it detail at the earthclinic.com website. I use the inhalation method by putting it in a nasal spray bottle to make a mist. But I breath it through the mouth instead of the nose. Details about how to do it are on that site.

In my case, I'm actually suspecting that this treatment might cure me of celiac disease itself. There's a number of theories floating around the web that celiac is cause by a virus that looks like gluten. The theory goes that the body develops antibodies to the virus and kills the virus. From then on it confuses gluten with the virus and attacks.

My theory is that this virus never completely left our systems. If we can kill the virus it may work.

In my case, I kept having recurring sinusitus in spite of going gluten free, then I went lactose free, my wife felt my last one broke out after eating either eggs or watermelon. I got SICK of eliminating foods. I did more research and hit on the virus theory.

So then I took the H202 and WHAM it cleared up my symptoms gradually over about 8 hours time so I'm fit as a fiddle as they say. Haven't felt this good YEARS. I'm still taking the H202 for at least a month to make sure I eradicate whatever virus is lurking in there.

If you have any success with this, let me know. Or if you want more details, let me know.

Sincerely,

Wayne

Archived