Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mya74

Could I Have Celiac Disease?

Hi,

I have a set of symptoms that come and go. I am especially aware if them right now because I haven't experienced them in a while. They are: cracks at the corners of my mouth, a mild eczema flare-up, nausea. headache, and fatigue. These symptoms have come and gone over the years. In between I often have stomach problems - i.e. diarrhea, gassiness etc. I also have a lot of food allergies and avoid things that cause an acute reaction, e.g. certain frits and vegetables, nuts... I have in the past tested positive for allergies to wheat, yeast, eggs, corn - you name it. I've wondered if consumptions of these things might cause chronic symptoms like headaches and low energy. Anyway, just hoping someone here might have some insight.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have a set of symptoms that come and go. I am especially aware if them right now because I haven't experienced them in a while. They are: cracks at the corners of my mouth, a mild eczema flare-up, nausea. headache, and fatigue. These symptoms have come and gone over the years. In between I often have stomach problems - i.e. diarrhea, gassiness etc. I also have a lot of food allergies and avoid things that cause an acute reaction, e.g. certain frits and vegetables, nuts... I have in the past tested positive for allergies to wheat, yeast, eggs, corn - you name it. I've wondered if consumptions of these things might cause chronic symptoms like headaches and low energy. Anyway, just hoping someone here might have some insight.

Thanks!

Totally - I can't remeber off the top of my head, but in another thread on here, the whole topic of discussion is neurological symptoms - I remember reading something about the GI system can be considered the second brain in the body - it does way more for mood and mental aspects than I ever realized.

I know, for myself, that is/was totally the case. The headaches and fatigue were the major reasons I started to look into going to the doc. When you look at the body as one unit, whatever you put in your mouth is going to fuel your body & some things do that better than others & in the case of food allergies, you're throwing your body a curve ball - like putting kerosene into your car - sure it'll burn, but its gonna do weird stuff to the system.

After wrestling with my symptoms for a while, I went gluten free about a month ago now (originally IBS - stupid docs, then they questioned celiac, its looking now like I have a bacteria overgrowth) and one of the biggest changes I noticed was in my mood and overall sense of well-being. I dont get as many headaches & I'm not nearly as tired as I was. Your body is doing stuff or fighting something, generally working harder, or not getting what it needs, even though you might not notice & it will wear you down.

You might want to consider getting the celiac tests ran - with so many allergies diagnosed from the past & with the varying degrees of accuracy it seems that doctors have, that could be something to look into