Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amandadn

Celiac Panel

Well I just got back from taking my 9mo to the doctor. She wants both the celiac panel and food allergy tests done. I am confused as to what I need to do before the celiac test is done. From what I have read she needs to have gluten in her system, and she has not had it for over 3mo. Her doctor said that it should not have to have it in her system for the teats, the lab tech also said the same. I just want to make sure that I am not setting her up for a false neg. If I have to give her gluten, how long do I have to give it to her? She gets really sick and I do not want to put her through it longer than I have to. If anyone can help me that would be great...my mind is spinning with all of this.

Amanda

A general rule of thumb was that you had to be eating gluten for AT LEAST 6 weeks - but I'm sure there's new evidence out there that suggests 3 months is probably more ideal.

However, alot of people get false negatives (my hubby included - he went on to have a positive biopsy) but ESPECIALLY children under 5 yrs. The blood tests are quite unreliable in little ones <_<

Personally, in one so little, If it made them ill I wouldn't put them back on gluten.

Did she not have any improvement in symptoms while she was gluten-free??

Good Luck :)

Is there a difference between the panel test and the home tests?

Not sure what you mean?

Do you mean 'do the home tests (ones you can buy on the internet) also need you to be eating gluten?'

If that's what you mean then 'Yes'.

:)

i dunno about all that. My dr. told me that testing my nine month old would be pointless. Although... he has never had gluten or any other food directly. He is exclusively breastfed. My pediatrician told me that I can start him on gluten at 12 months, and we will bloodtest him at 18 months. So I am assuming that a good six months is needed in kiddos this age. My little boy will not be tested because of his own symptoms, but because his big sister has been diagnosed with celiac. In my opinion, if your child is having symptoms, and they are already taking blood for the RAST testing go ahead and test her, an extra test wont harm anyone (unless your paying out of pocket). I would not accept a negative result to be conclusive. If you still suspect celiac later on, redo the test. Good luck!

Thank you for all your help. I am not sure if I am going to do the panel or go through eurolab (I think that is it) Has anyone gone the mail order route...is there one that is better than the other? I am going to give her some gluten and then have the panel done, unless she gets too sick. Thanks for your help, I'll keep you informed.

Is there a difference between the panel test and the home tests?

sorry i forgot to answer this part. The celiac blood panel is a blood test where they take blood, send it off to a lab, and they often (especially in young children) produce false negatives. This blood test is generally accepted and respected by doctors, although alot of doctors still follow up with an endoscopy and biopsy. If by "home tst" you mean the stool testing through entrolabs, You order a test kit over the internet, send in a stool sample, and they send you the results. I have no experience with entrolabs, but from what i've read on here, you do not have to be eating gluten right then, but in the last year. Alot of people on here really recommend this test, and it sounds to me like it's alot more practical, less painful, and it gives great answers. I have heard that its hard to get a dr to trust the results from this test. I dunno... just thought I'd tell you some of what i've gathered from these boards, but im sure alot of people that have actually done the entrolab test can tell you alot more. good luck!