Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ursa Major

Kelsey's

After reading that now Kelsey's uses rice flour for thickening sauces, my husband and I went there to have supper last night after going shopping (Barrie, Ontario).

I was hoping to be able to have the creamy chicken, which looked delicious. I asked the waitress to please find out what the ingredients were, since I can't have any wheat (I tried to explain about gluten intolerance, and she asked if it was a wheat allergy....... to make it easier I just agreed to that). She brought me the book with all the ingredients.

Man, that sauce must have had 100 ingredients! Most of which were chemicals (yuck!). It WAS thickened with rice flour. Too bad that the list included soy sauce, and in brackets it gave the ingredients of the soy sauce. Guess what, the soy sauce had wheat.

What good is it to people with celiac disease to thicken everything with rice flour (and telling them that now it is safe, which is a lie) when they put wheat containing soy sauce in?

Needless to say, I had to have something else. I chose the 8 oz steak instead, which was delicious and safe.

I did order Caesar salad as an appetizer, forgetting about croutons. The waitress graciously took it back, and brought a new salad without croutons. I know that she brought an entirely new salad, rather than taking the croutons off, because it was on a different plate (different shape, so easy to see), nicely arranged. It was definitely a new salad, made from scratch.

So, they are gracious and will try to accommodate celiacs. But their sauces may not be safe, make sure you ask to read the ingredients list when ordering.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Join eNewsletter