Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GeoffCJ

Peru - Awesome Trip And I Didn't Get Glutened!

I haven't posted here much lately, busy with work, but I wanted to share.

My wife and I just returned from an 11 day trip to Peru, including hiking to Machu Picchu, one of the 7 Wonders of the World. It was fantastic, and I didn't get glutened once. I did get some stomach issues one day, but I think it was just normal travellers stomach issues, as my symptoms weren't the same or as severe as a glutening.

The food is amazing, and much of it gluten free. I made some spanish language cards to hand out, and was amazed and touched with how seriously EVERY waiter and restaurant took it. The Peruvian people are a gracious, wonderful bunch, and seemed genuinely concerned with my well being. And the food is mostly fresh, non-processed, and there are tons of gluten-free choices. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

Here is a link to pictures/stories from the trip.

http://www.kimandgeoff.com/peru2007/

Geoff

Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006

Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Wow! I am so jealous. Thanks for sharing the info.

Gina

Gina

gluten-free since 2001

Son dx celiac March 2005

I haven't posted here much lately, busy with work, but I wanted to share.

My wife and I just returned from an 11 day trip to Peru, including hiking to Machu Picchu, one of the 7 Wonders of the World. It was fantastic, and I didn't get glutened once. I did get some stomach issues one day, but I think it was just normal travellers stomach issues, as my symptoms weren't the same or as severe as a glutening.

The food is amazing, and much of it gluten free. I made some spanish language cards to hand out, and was amazed and touched with how seriously EVERY waiter and restaurant took it. The Peruvian people are a gracious, wonderful bunch, and seemed genuinely concerned with my well being. And the food is mostly fresh, non-processed, and there are tons of gluten-free choices. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

Here is a link to pictures/stories from the trip.

http://www.kimandgeoff.com/peru2007/

Geoff

Hi! I'm just planning a trip to Peru now. When you hiked Machu Picchu, did you go with a tour group? If so, were they able to accomodate the gluten-free diet and would you recommend them?

Thanks!

Cara

Hi! I'm just planning a trip to Peru now. When you hiked Machu Picchu, did you go with a tour group? If so, were they able to accomodate the gluten-free diet and would you recommend them?

Thanks!

Cara

To hike the Inka trail, you are required to use a guide service. You can not hike the inka trail on your own. Their are other hikes, but on the famous inka trail, you must use a guide. We didn't use a tour group fro most of our trip, but did for that section.

We went with Mayuc Cusco, and they did a great job with the Gluten Free thing. I spoke with them several times ahead of time, and they were great.

Geoff

Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006

Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

To hike the Inka trail, you are required to use a guide service. You can not hike the inka trail on your own. Their are other hikes, but on the famous inka trail, you must use a guide. We didn't use a tour group fro most of our trip, but did for that section.

We went with Mayuc Cusco, and they did a great job with the Gluten Free thing. I spoke with them several times ahead of time, and they were great.

Geoff

Great! Thanks for the recommendation!