This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg The Pain! What Can I Do?

GlutenFreeMN

GlutenFreeMN Newbie

I was stupid last night.

I've been gluten free now for 2 or 3 weeks.. it hasn't been anywhere near as difficult as I figured it would be, and I've felt SO much better.

Had a completely rotten day yesterday, asked hubby to pick up supper on the way home. He asked what he can get that's gluten free, I told him not to worry about it. I'd felt good on the paleo diet, and that allowed 3 cheats a week.. That was my ridiculous reasoning. I haven't had fast food in god knows how long, and though it's been at least a few years, KFC sounded kinda good.

He wasn't happy with the idea, but complied - he knew how awful teh day had been.

I only had one of their bowl things.. mashed potatos, corn, chicken.. that thing. I figured the breading in the chicken wouldn't be "too bad"

OH MY GOD. The pain this morning!!!!!! I've been up 3 hours with horrible stomach/gut pain, bloating, gas.. it hurts to move!

Is there any sort of readily available med or home remedy I could take to ease this?? This is worse than the pain that made me initially suspect celiac! Does that make any sense at all?

I've had a bunch of people telling me to not go gluten free till AFTER I see the dr, but that's still 3 weeks away, and I was desperate to stop the pain. There is NO WAY I'm going to eat gluten after this, not for any test or any reason. Holy crap.

In the meantime.. I have a lot of work to do today, and I feel utterly incapacitated. Any advice for an immediate solution?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I was stupid last night.

I've been gluten free now for 2 or 3 weeks.. it hasn't been anywhere near as difficult as I figured it would be, and I've felt SO much better.

Had a completely rotten day yesterday, asked hubby to pick up supper on the way home. He asked what he can get that's gluten free, I told him not to worry about it. I'd felt good on the paleo diet, and that allowed 3 cheats a week.. That was my ridiculous reasoning. I haven't had fast food in god knows how long, and though it's been at least a few years, KFC sounded kinda good.

He wasn't happy with the idea, but complied - he knew how awful teh day had been.

I only had one of their bowl things.. mashed potatos, corn, chicken.. that thing. I figured the breading in the chicken wouldn't be "too bad"

OH MY GOD. The pain this morning!!!!!! I've been up 3 hours with horrible stomach/gut pain, bloating, gas.. it hurts to move!

Is there any sort of readily available med or home remedy I could take to ease this?? This is worse than the pain that made me initially suspect celiac! Does that make any sense at all?

I've had a bunch of people telling me to not go gluten free till AFTER I see the dr, but that's still 3 weeks away, and I was desperate to stop the pain. There is NO WAY I'm going to eat gluten after this, not for any test or any reason. Holy crap.

In the meantime.. I have a lot of work to do today, and I feel utterly incapacitated. Any advice for an immediate solution?

You just did a gluten challenge and boy was it positive. Don't be too hard on yourself at least now you know for sure. Unfortuantely there is no immediate solution. If you can possibly delay what you needed to do today it might be a good idea.

One thing that helps me a great deal with the stomach pain is Pepto Bismal. Also once the big D hits things do tend to be relieved a bit. I try not to take anything like immodium if I can possibly avoid it. I don't like to have that nasty gluten stuff get any delay getting out of my system but if you do decide to use it many find it helps with just one dose. If you absolutely have to be out of the house it will most likely help more than anything else. Also make sure you are taking your sublingual B12 that will help your brain and energy levels.

I know how much pain you are in and wish I could be more helpful. I am sure others will post with what helps them.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Pepto and maybe a warm bath, those always helped my stomach pain.

Offthegrid Explorer

Sorry you are in pain! Do you think hot tea would help soothe you? I second the pepto bismal also.

It is really hard in the beginning, so be patient and gentle with yourself. I can sit in any restaurant now and not be drooling and ravenous and nearly crazy to want to kill someone to steal their food, but it took a while to get this way.

One thing I did that was stupid when I first started ... if I got accidentally glutened, then I would go on a gluten binge. The problem is, for me at least, whenever I have a little bit of gluten I want more, more, more, MORE! But if you go without it for a while (few months), you don't miss it.

Also keep your eye out for other food intolerances. I was so annoyed because whenever I ate out at a restaurant that supposedly had gluten-free food, I'd get sick. Well, duh, I should have put it together sooner, but I also can't have casein (dairy) or soy. I most recently found out that I can't tolerate potatoes right now either. Once you've healed, you may be able to eat these foods again. Quite a few on this board said if they were strict gluten-free and dairy-free for 6 months, they could eat dairy again.

GlutenFreeMN Newbie

I know I have a weird dairy intolerance.. milk and ice cream. I have NO idea why, but milk and ice cream churn my guts really bad - always have.

BUT.. cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, cream cheese, sour cream - ANYTHING ELSE dairy seems to be fine. NO idea what the deal is there. I stay away from soy as much as possible anyway, because I'm really hypothyroid.

The good news is, the gut pain went away about an hour ago - 11am. I still feel a bit gross, but not like it was. I have no idea what a gluten challenge is, but I guess I should be looking that up now!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Glad to hear you are feeling better :) Stomach pain is no fun!

bakingbarb Enthusiast

I am in the same boat. The family wanted spaghetti, no problem! Ya except when you out of habit test a spaghetti noodle to see if it is done and only after you swallow and walk away do you realize what you just did. The pain is horrendous and my joints ache awful. It feels like my gut is gnawing away at me from the inside out. I am going to go try the pepto now that you all have mentioned it. At the same time I feel as though I am starving.

WAAAAA Here I have been so careful and haven't had an issue lately. My tummy was doing so well too. :(:angry::huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I have no idea what a gluten challenge is, but I guess I should be looking that up now!

A gluten challenge is when you have been gluten free and feeling better and then load up on gluten and look for a reaction. When you react it is a positive result for that food. It is a helpful form of diagnosis for those of us who do not show up on blood work. Too bad it took doctors over 15 years to think to suggest it. It was the way my allergist diagnosed me.

JustMe75 Enthusiast
I am in the same boat. The family wanted spaghetti, no problem! Ya except when you out of habit test a spaghetti noodle to see if it is done and only after you swallow and walk away do you realize what you just did. The pain is horrendous and my joints ache awful. It feels like my gut is gnawing away at me from the inside out. I am going to go try the pepto now that you all have mentioned it. At the same time I feel as though I am starving.

WAAAAA Here I have been so careful and haven't had an issue lately. My tummy was doing so well too. :(:angry::huh:

I feel like that right now too! I am sick and starving at the same time!

Ugh! I ate some Ore Ida potatoes that made me terribly sick on Wednesday and I am still sick. They went right through me within 2 hours of eating them so you would think they would be out of my system by now. I was sick all day on day 1, woke up with a migrain on day 2 and the stomach pain was still awful! But I keep thinking I am hungry, my stomach is rumbling and growling like crazy. The head fog, the feeling of panic........ I wanna wake up when this is over!

Archived