Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JNBunnie1

Giving Blood

Does anyone else have tough time giving blood? Not the whole needle thing, I'm cool with needles even though it was actually quite uncomfortable for me, but I was passing out for three days after. I do tend to have low blood pressure, so I'm kind of blaming that, I'm just curious whether giving blood makes anyone else feel like crap for a few days. Keep in mind I'm a menstruating woman, and giving blood tends to deplete our resources more so than for menopausal women or men, since they don't frequently lose blood anyway. I'm willing to put up with the crappy feelings, and will do so again, just curious if anyone else has had a problem with this.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Here in South Australia people with auto-immune disease are unable to give blood. I haven't given blood since I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease in November 1994 and should probably never have given it as I am sure I have had Coeliac Disease since I was 12, undiagnosed until 4 months ago

Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)

Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994

Low B12 November 2006

Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it

Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge

Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)

Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.

Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done

My only problem is after I give blood. They won't let me leave until I eat something or wait 30 minutes (and generally don't get that I'm not anorexic, I can't eat the cookies, and that I physically can see my lunch). Waiting for 30 minutes staring at my lunch does not make me a very happy camper...

Symptoms on and off my whole life

Major symptoms starting 2005

Zero blood antibodies

Gluten free with positive dietary response since April 2007

My only problem is after I give blood. They won't let me leave until I eat something or wait 30 minutes (and generally don't get that I'm not anorexic, I can't eat the cookies, and that I physically can see my lunch). Waiting for 30 minutes staring at my lunch does not make me a very happy camper...

They won't let you eat your own food? The people I gave blood with were totally cool about me not eating their food, told me to eat something when I got home. And I didn't have to wait a 1/2 hour, either. Maybe ten minutes. What state are you in?

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Does anyone else have tough time giving blood? Not the whole needle thing, I'm cool with needles even though it was actually quite uncomfortable for me, but I was passing out for three days after. I do tend to have low blood pressure, so I'm kind of blaming that, I'm just curious whether giving blood makes anyone else feel like crap for a few days. Keep in mind I'm a menstruating woman, and giving blood tends to deplete our resources more so than for menopausal women or men, since they don't frequently lose blood anyway. I'm willing to put up with the crappy feelings, and will do so again, just curious if anyone else has had a problem with this.

I only gave blood once. I was 20. I filled the bag in record time- passed out- and felt terrible for 2 days.

DH positive skin biopsy June 2007

Blood test positive July 2007

Gluten Free- since 6-23-07

Vegetarian since 1991

Stay-at-home Mommy to:

Kellen 2-05

Cameron 10-06

Scarlett 5-09

I gave blood once and found out I was AB+. They don't want AB+ blood. I'm too slow for the other things they have.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

I haven't had a problem. Sure, it makes 8 mile hikes at elevation two days after a bit tougher, and I haven't given blood in the past half year to see if it's any different since my fibro dx, but it hasn't been a problem.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA