Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jadesmum

What Do You Think?

Hi

My Daughter has celiac disease and was diganosed at 18 months of age (two years ago) as she had classic symptoms and deteriorating quickly. At the time I had my second son, after he was born I felt naucious all the time I kept thinking I was pregnant because I couldn't ride int eh car or anything I felt awful and my back and shoulder/neck mussels used to ache all day to the point I felt like throwing up. When he was 11 months I got pregnant again to my now 6 month old daugher, at this point we started doing meals altogether so cut down on gluten for the whole family, I started to have my symptoms decrease (from memory anyway). This daughter has servere reflux and cows milk and soy intolerances (I am b/feeding) I also trialed a gluten-free diet to see if her symptoms improved. And they did, but I have been sneeking in some gluten lately and I have had servere stomache pains and feel like throwing up and my neck is starting to get sore again too.

THe thing is before my first daughter was diagnosed I never even knew what it was and we don't know of any family members who have ever had it. I have had all the usual pregnancy blood tests and my iron levels have always been good and I have big babies (9-10 pounds) so don't think they have been effected anyhow while in the womb. I have also never had a miscarriage.

My son who is now 2 years old was gluten-free until he was one and since then his poos have been sloppier but seems ok, lately though he has lost some body weight and his tummy is very distended and hard, I have an appointment to see a gastro pead for him at the end of this month, but I am sure he has it as well but wont know until he has the tests done (his bloods came back ok but he is so young they aren't that reliable apparently).

I also had bloods done two years ago which came back ok. I also forgot to mention that about 6 years ago I had severe tummy pain and bloating and had a barrum swallow with nothing wrong just a really slow digestion, since then I have struggled with keeping my weight under control, I used to weigh around 70kgs and now am 108kgs, I always feel hungry (but I have been b/feeding for a while lol) and never can seem to lose any weight, just keeps putting it on. This goes against what coeliac disease is I think so I am so not sure what I should be thinking. Maybe there is somethign else wrong with me?

Belinda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm having the same kinds of problems.

All kinds of stomach issues. I even have sacroilitiis and thyroid disease but my daughter just tested negative so I will probably too.

I just read that the starch content in wheat is a lot higher than in the olden days and that our digestive systems are not designed to handle that much starch. Makes sense to me. I found the information at a website that sells sprouted flour. I don't know if I can post the link because it is a store. But the website is called creatingheaven. She also uses tapioca flour in her book. I would love to see the recipes.

Anyway, I think maybe the starch puts too much onto the liver and pancreas. I've also started taking enzymes. Haven't got that worked out yet though.

Sorry, I really wasn't much help. But you're not alone.

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16 and now has been dx'd with Hashimoto's.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.  Not diagnosed as celiac.

First of all, it isn't the starch that is the problem at all that is making people sick. Through bio-engineering scientists have increased the amount of gluten in wheat to be now about 60 times what it used to be just over a hundred years ago. Gluten is hard to digest, and that much gluten puts so much stress on the system that it makes people sick.

Celiac disease has always been around, and used to be truly rare. Now it is getting to be an epidemic. The high gluten content of todays wheat is to blame for that. Some scientists and doctors now believe that about 80% of the North American population is gluten intolerant.

Tapiopa is pure starch. So, how is that better to use if starch is the problem?

It is a little known fact (apparently especially amongst doctors) that at least 40% of people with celiac disease GAIN weight instead of losing it. The reason is that weight gain can be a sign of malnutrition as well. When our bodies can't get the needed nutrients, they will hang onto any nutrition they can get and turn it into fat as a defense mechanism to keep from starving. I was gaining as well.

Jadesmum, it sounds to me like you and all of your children are gluten intolerant. Whether it will be officially called celiac disease or gluten intolerance shouldn't make any difference, all of you need to be 100% off all gluten. And the longer any of you keep eating gluten, the sicker you are going to get.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tapiopa is pure starch. So, how is that better to use if starch is the problem?

I am stuck on Chebe bread being so good for you. I guess that's why I keep thinking that tapioca is so great.

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16 and now has been dx'd with Hashimoto's.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.  Not diagnosed as celiac.

Hi

Sorry it took me so long to reply, long week.

Thanks for the replies. Where is that info about the bio engineering? I would be interested in reading more about it.

My son had the biopsy done on Thursday so I am waiting for the results, the gastro said he looks like he has it from his tummy.

Me well I thought I was imagining the whole gluten thing with me, but had a sandwich and a donut at the hospital and through up and had the runns all night, what a disaster, I am not game to go near gluten fro a while yet.

Thanks again

Belinda