Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustMe75

Glucose Tolerance Testing

My daughters pediatrician wants to check her for diabetes but said that he isn't going to do the 4 hour glucose tolerance test because in people with celiac the results are "flat". I asked him what that meant and he just repeated that the results would be flat and not accurate. He is instead doing a first thing in the morning blood draw to check her sugar. Has anyone heard of this? What does flat mean? Will the other test be accurate?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know what he is referring to with the glucose tolerance test. I do know I have had lots of them over the years though. :)

The fasting morning sugar is a good measure. He should be doing an A1C at the same time, this measures the average blood sugar over a three month period. The morning blood sugar can be elevated if someone is ill, in that case the A1C can make the difference between a premature diagnosis of diabetes and the need to recheck at a later date.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)