Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GeoffCJ

Frustrated. Sweet Tea?

I've been Gluten-free for over a year now, and getting it mostly figured out. I've had a few gluten-incidents, and seem to have a pretty distinct reaction.

I eat out fairly often, and either am pretty lucky about CC, or am not super sensitive. Most of my reactions I've been able to traceback to a specific mistake.

My wife and I were in TX for a days last weekend, and she wanted ribs. WE went to County Line BBQ on the riverwalk in San Antonio, and I asked the waitstaff. Not really getting a good response, I decided to just not order anything to eat, but order a sweet tea (ice tea, sweetened).

Within 20-30 minutes, I was feeling like crap. 2 days later, I'm still dragging. WTH? Could it really be CC, but I eat out all the time? What would it be in Sweet Tea?

I found this link on the forum, but was curious if anyone else has had this issue? I've had hot barley tea (before diagnosis) , any chance something like that would be in a tea? I like tea, but I'll be worried aobut ordering it in the future.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=16212

Geoff

Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006

Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

From what I understand, they can use some form of flour so the tea does not stick together, in addition the flavoring is put on coffee with gluten of some kind, so I would not be surprised if that is what happens with tea. I have reacted to tea a number of times already.

Proud Mom of now 3 - one of which is dairy intolerant, and a hubby who is dairy intolerant.

Coconut, pseudoephedrine, lidocaine with epinephrine, sulfa and penicillin allergies for several years

Gluten, dairy and wheat intolerant since July 2007, soy intolerant since October 2008.

Be kind, for everyone you speak to is fighting their own battles.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter