Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

annapumpkin

California Support Group

Hi all,

I am looking to start a support group in my area because from what I am seeing we dont have one for 2 hours in each direction and I know there is a need. My problem is, is that I have no experience with this besides leading hospital volunteer groups. So I am wondering if there are any pointers you all can give me or show me the ropes so to speak. I figure if no one else will start one I will do it myself, im sick of waiting for someone else to do it. (5 years) Thanks.

-cheryl

Gluten free since Nov 2002

Diagnosed celiac Nov 2002

thru multiple biopsies and blood tests

Genetically confirmed March 2008

Gallbladder removed Nov 2006

Still showing symptoms even with diet

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi all,

I am looking to start a support group in my area because from what I am seeing we dont have one for 2 hours in each direction and I know there is a need. My problem is, is that I have no experience with this besides leading hospital volunteer groups. So I am wondering if there are any pointers you all can give me or show me the ropes so to speak. I figure if no one else will start one I will do it myself, im sick of waiting for someone else to do it. (5 years) Thanks.

-cheryl

You can contact the Celiac Disease Foundation at www.Celiac.org. Deborah will be glad to set you up with a starter packet. :)

Great idea!

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Hi all,

I am looking to start a support group in my area .. .

What part of CA are you in??

I'd be up for a group but I'm in San Jose.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

Thanks momma goose...ill do that today. and sorry tom im in Bakersfield California...the nearest support groups I have found are at UCLA or Fresno. :(

Join eNewsletter

Do you know of any support groups in San Diego, CA? It sounds like you have done your research, and maybe you would know of a site I could go on to find a group in my area.

http://www.celiac.org/connections.php#california

Maybe this will be a start :D If these don't work for you, let us know and we can "hook you up".

Lisa

Join eNewsletter

Hi Owen

thanks for the information...unfortunately, the phone number and email address are no longer correct. I did have a listing with her name on it but it was 5 years old and the support group is no longer running. <_< Thanks for trying though :D

Momma Goose....i emailed Deborah and was never given a response back...and that has been since you posted your last comment. :blink:

-cheryl

Join eNewsletter

YAY!!!! I heard from Deborah and they had no listing for a Bakersfield Support Group...so I signed up! :D So I have to get through some paperwork but I hope to start a Bakersfield Support group here shortly! So everyone in the Kern County area you are MORE than welcome to come! I am also going to be going to the Celiac Foundation convention on May 3d. My first Convention! Im a little (just a little :rolleyes: ) excited. Thanks for the help guys... and hope to hear from you if your in my area!;)

-Cheryl :P

Join eNewsletter

YAY!!!! I heard from Deborah and they had no listing for a Bakersfield Support Group...so I signed up! :D So I have to get through some paperwork but I hope to start a Bakersfield Support group here shortly! So everyone in the Kern County area you are MORE than welcome to come! I am also going to be going to the Celiac Foundation convention on May 3d. My first Convention! Im a little (just a little :rolleyes: ) excited. Thanks for the help guys... and hope to hear from you if your in my area!;)

-Cheryl :P

Glad to hear that you are getting started. I kinda feel like it's great to "pay it forward" and the CDF and a local support group is a great way to do that.

Let us know about the Convention. I have never been to one and hopefully in the future I will be able to.

Lisa

Join eNewsletter

I'm also in San Jose and just starting on this journey. Is there any activity in the area?

Bill

Hi Bill,

This group http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/celiacbayarea/ does a near-monthly potluck, but I haven't been able to make it yet.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

I'm also in San Jose and just starting on this journey. Is there any activity in the area?

Bill

I am from the San Jose area too, just diagnosed about 6 months ago. If anyone knows of a local support group, please let me know!

Thanks,

Stephanie

Join eNewsletter

I am from the San Jose area too, just diagnosed about 6 months ago. If anyone knows of a local support group, please let me know!

Thanks,

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

There's http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/celiacbayarea/ w/ ppl in the South Bay, Peninsula and Santa Cruz/Scotts Valley.

I haven't made it to one of their near-monthly potlucks yet, but hope to soon.

I get a daily email of the prior day's posts. Some days there are 2 or 3 posts, some days a dozen.

Mostly it's about useful local info - restaurants, stores, new products.

[Edit: oops :lol: I just saw that I wrote the same thing 2 posts up :chagrinedface: :lol: ]

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter