Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mamasaidso

Anyone Tried Kefir?

I was wondering if balancing out the bacteria in gut would help with the rash. Sometimes I put kefir in my daily smoothie but not on a regular basis. I have a lot of inflammation in small bowel and thought daily probiotics or kefir would help everthing. Have read some interesting things about kefir and do feel better when I include it in my diet. Gluten-free a couple months now and did a little experiment over weekend to see if shrimp would aggravate my DH. It sure did. Was careful about Easter dinner, too, but lots of itching today.

My doctor wants me to take Niaspan for cholesterol. I did some background on it and niacin is supposed to help skin rashes. Anyone heard anything about that? I'm holding off on starting it. Big chicken. Plus taking a daily aspirin with it might not be the best thing for my stomach right now. So for now using lotion from dermatologist which helps some.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I used to drink kefir back when I was consuming dairy. Loved the stuff. You can also take probiotics in a pill form. I find they help me a bit, but I'm not too far off balance in that area. (I definitely take plenty when I'm on antibiotics.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

I was wondering if balancing out the bacteria in gut would help with the rash. Sometimes I put kefir in my daily smoothie but not on a regular basis. I have a lot of inflammation in small bowel and thought daily probiotics or kefir would help everthing. Have read some interesting things about kefir and do feel better when I include it in my diet. Gluten-free a couple months now and did a little experiment over weekend to see if shrimp would aggravate my DH. It sure did. Was careful about Easter dinner, too, but lots of itching today.

My doctor wants me to take Niaspan for cholesterol. I did some background on it and niacin is supposed to help skin rashes. Anyone heard anything about that? I'm holding off on starting it. Big chicken. Plus taking a daily aspirin with it might not be the best thing for my stomach right now. So for now using lotion from dermatologist which helps some.

If your taking aspirin daily and using fruit in your smoothie it could be a salicylate sensitivity. I'd do a quick google/search on it just to make your ok with them. I've had kefir before and I agree its great because you can drink it.

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

Join eNewsletter

MMM Kefir is WONDERFUL but I had to quit eating it when I went Dairy Free.

:)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

I use kefir almost daily (I do not need to be casein free), plus it's easy enough to make from goat milk if you have a cow's milk allergy. My understanding is that it should have the same probiotic benefits as yogurt. Certainly when you make your own!

Find a Stanley stainless steel thermos and start making your own yogurt and kefir and it will not only save you a bundle, it won't have any additives (except what you put in yourself, afterward!)

I tried something new for lunch today and it was wonderful: I took leftover homemade chicken, rice, and vegetable soup, put in the blender (Magic Bullet) with some kefir and blended it smooth. I ate it cold and it was delicious. Who needs fast food when you can take stuff like that to work with you?

gluten-free since 2/10/08

EnteroLab results 4/18/08:

Antigliadin IgA 228 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 191 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Anti-casein IgA antibody 127 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Guess I'm going CF now, too!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter