This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Gain

roxie

roxie Contributor

Gosh, I feel like such a cry baby, but I just can't seem to find that happy place. I was sick for a year, and finally found out I have celiac disease. I ended up losing a lot of weight before I got the diagnosis. I was about 95 pounds. However, because I have had a lot of issues with eating disorders, I was thrilled to be that thin. Now, I am feeling SO MUCH BETTER from the gluten free diet, but I have already gained 10 pounds, and it's really getting me down. Everyday I feel bigger and bigger. I know it's all a mind game, but I can't get passed it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest hightop girl
Gosh, I feel like such a cry baby, but I just can't seem to find that happy place. I was sick for a year, and finally found out I have celiac disease. I ended up losing a lot of weight before I got the diagnosis. I was about 95 pounds. However, because I have had a lot of issues with eating disorders, I was thrilled to be that thin. Now, I am feeling SO MUCH BETTER from the gluten free diet, but I have already gained 10 pounds, and it's really getting me down. Everyday I feel bigger and bigger. I know it's all a mind game, but I can't get passed it.

I don't know very much about celiacs because I am new to it too. I DO understand your weight worries. I too was way too thin before diagnosis. I suddenly gaines 30 pounds due to the anemia caused from celiacs. After diagnosis I lost about 25 of that, but now have put 5 back on. All I can say is that we (you and I) need to be kind to our bodies, do what is healthy for our bodies, and let our bodies find a healthy zone before passing judgment on our size. I know that what I see in the mirror and on the scale is not reflected by my friends, family, or the size of clothing I am buying; it is just in my head. Hang in there. It does feel like a double whammy.

AliB Enthusiast

It may be that like me and many others, you are actually intolerant of carbs per se, not just gluten. If you are replacing the gluten-based carbs with gluten-free carbohydrate it may be that these are foods that, because your body is not used to them, it is currently tolerating and not giving you the health issues that resulted in your weight loss.

What often seems to happen is that whilst the body tolerates these carbs for a while, eventually it becomes intolerant of those too and we can end up right back at square one.

I cut gluten and dairy in January but because I still had issues with even gluten-free carbs I cut those too and started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet 3 weeks ago. It is a good way to really give the body a good chance to heal properly. We can still obtain adequate carbs from fruits and veg and things like honey and nuts. Some worry that if we don't eat enough carbs we will lose weight, but that is not true. If it was then communities that do not eat very much carbohydrate, like Eskimos, would look like Belsen Camp inmates!

Although my problem is opposite to yours in that I have weight gain, since going low-carb SCD my weight has stayed stable. Most find with this way of eating that although they may lose a few lbs initially, their weight will stabilise at an optimum level. Those who need to lose, lose, those who need to gain, gain and those who need neither stay the same! I am confident that once my body has started to eliminate the stored toxins and the SIBO problems are rectified, I will start to lose the extra weight I am carrying.

After the 3 weeks now I am just starting to get some energy for the first time in years (and have not caught the cold my husband is wafting about!) and am confident that this is the best way for me to go at this time. I would encourage others to at least give it a try. It means eating plainly for a while, but it is worth is in the long run.

Guest hightop girl

This is a 2 part reply.

1) Where do I find information on the Specific Carb Diet? I have tried the Elimination Diet, and had some revelations on it... I now put orange juice instead of milk on my cereal and have had a lot less bloating and gurgling.

2) Roxie--- where are you located? I am in Colorado Springs. Do you know how to add people to "My Friends" so we can stay in contact? We have so many of the same concerns and issues.

Glutina Rookie

Hi Roxie!

I, too, battled and eating disorder (well, a few....) and I have some questions for you:

-How long have you been recovered? (ARE you recovered from you ED?)

-Do you have a professional to talk to about how you are feeling about this new path?

-Do you have a support system around you? Do you family/close friends know how you are feeling? (Remember that keeping secrets is THE worst thing you can do to help your recovery process)

-How old are you? (You can PM me this info if you'd like...because this can definitely affect things...)

Once you answer these questions, I might be able to give you some advice :)

Bye for now!

-Glutina

AliB Enthusiast

If you Google Specific Carbohydrate Diet it will come up with some links, like 'Breaking the vicious cycle', and Pecanbread (aimed for kids with Autism and ASD but still very useful for the rest of us). There are also threads on here which may be helpful - one on this section and one on 'Food Intolerance and related issues' section.

What it entails at the end of the day is to avoid all complex carbs - poly-saccharides which are grains and starches, so no flour products or starchy vegetables like beans and potatoes. No di-saccharides which are sugar and lactose (dairy), and to restrict to mono-saccharides which are the carbs from fresh fruits and vegetables, honey and well-cultured yogurt.

Make sure you get plenty of good plain unprocessed meats, fish and poultry, plenty of fresh vegetables, raw and cooked, a good selection of fresh and cooked fruits - fruit is better eaten on its own without other food groups, and good fats. Contrary to popular belief it is not fat that makes you fat, but carbohydrate, although fat is more of a problem when eaten with carbohydrates. Fat is best kept with protein and vegetables. Try to drink at least 2 liters of water a day to help flush out toxins.

That is the basis of the SCD. I do hope you manage to resolve your problems.

roxie Contributor

hightop girl,

I responded to your message, but I'm not sure if I did it right. It would be great to keep in touch with you! Let me know if you got the response I sent you. I live in Jacksonville, FL. Roxie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

roxie Contributor

I am new to this (and not the greatest with computers either). I cannot figure out how to pm someone. Any advice? Thanks - Roxie

AliB Enthusiast

Just click on their profile name at the head of their posting and it will give you a drop down list. Select 'Send Message' and you can post straight to their personal inbox.

roxie Contributor
Hi Roxie!

I, too, battled and eating disorder (well, a few....) and I have some questions for you:

-How long have you been recovered? (ARE you recovered from you ED?)

-Do you have a professional to talk to about how you are feeling about this new path?

-Do you have a support system around you? Do you family/close friends know how you are feeling? (Remember that keeping secrets is THE worst thing you can do to help your recovery process)

-How old are you? (You can PM me this info if you'd like...because this can definitely affect things...)

Once you answer these questions, I might be able to give you some advice :)

Bye for now!

-Glutina

Glutina,

Thanks for writing me about eating disorders. I can't really say that I am recovered from my ED. It started when I was a senior in highschool, and went on for several years. When I got pregnant, I completely stopped the behavior. I had 3 kids all together, and never had a problem during those years. Over this past summer, I had a little relapse, and had issues with bulimia and anorexia again. I also had celiac disease (and didn't know it), so my body was totally malnourished. I had absolutely NO energy for months and months. I have seen therapists off and on, but never really stuck with it. My husband knows everything, and is VERY supportive, but my friends and family don't really know about it. I tried to talk to my parents when it all first started, but they just couldn't understand it, and I don't think they ever would. Now that I am getting healthier from being gluten free, I am trying to be strong, and feel good about being healthy. I want to do it for me, but mostly I want to do it for my husband and 3 children. The hardest part is I can never see myself as thin enough, and it's such a high for me to look as thin as possible. It's one thing, that makes me truly happy, and that scares me. I am 36 years old. I'd love to hear your story, and any advice that you may have. Thanks, Roxie

Archived