Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BuggysMommy

Endoscopy & Colonoscopy Results

First, if this posts twice I apologize, I tried to post this a few days ago but it's not showing up. :( So, here's my questions:

Hi, some of you may remember me, I posted a few weeks ago about all of my symptoms, and my negative blood tests. I have recently realized that the blood work for celiac was done at some little random run-of-the-mill lab that my dr does all bloodwork at, and I think I've read somewhere that only a handful of labs in the country (US) can properly test for celiac.

Anywho, I had my endoscopy and a colonoscopy done this morning (lucky me), and while I have to wait about a week for the biopsy results to come back, my Gastro did give me a few different diagnosis. I have mild gastritis, as well as mild colitis. He also had results from some blood work he sent me for about a week ago and I have high thyroid levels? (By the way, this isn't the doc who tested me for celiac, that was my primary care physician.) And I thought high thyroid levels meant HYPOthyroid, and I thought that was synonymous with weight gain. I am very underweight (5'7" and 110lbs).

Well, my question is, are these 3 things typically associated with celiac disease? I am asking because since my bloodwork by my other doc came back normal for celiac, this doc is pretty much dead set against me having celiac, and I'm not even sure if he did a biopsy for it or not. And I'll be understandably angry if he didn't... But what do you gastro-experienced posters think? If he didn't do the small intestine biopsy, and only did other areas or my stomach, I will be changing doctors and redoing this whole mess.

Just realized I'd better throw in a link to my old thread, in case I'm just not that memorable...

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=44890

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, a lot of us here have some thyroid issues. Gluten is known to trigger thyroid antibodies. Mary shomon has some articles about that at tyroid.about.com.

High TSH would be hypo.

Some hypos are under-weight.

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

Hi, a lot of us here have some thyroid issues. Gluten is known to trigger thyroid antibodies. Mary shomon has some articles about that at tyroid.about.com.

High TSH would be hypo.

Some hypos are under-weight.

nora

Thanks! I'll be sure to go check out those articles!

sorry I had a typo.The site is http://thyroid.about.com

There is also an active forum http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ab-thyroid

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)