Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jeannine

Had A Scope And Biopsies Yesterday

I went in yesterday and had a liver biopsy, upper scope and a doudenal biopsy. I never saw the doc after since a emergency came in and he was called in. The nurse showed me (and gave me my own set) of pictures of the scope. She told me that my fundus was covered in polyps and doc removed 10. I asked about diet and told her I was no longer eating gluten starting immediately. She said there was no mention of "seeing" celiacs so I should wait until I see the doc again- I'm calling for my followup appt today.

First, anyone else with stomach polyps? Does that have anything to do with celiacs? I've been taking prevacid, and now nexium, for about 2 years, but now don't think I have GERD, but celiacs.

Second, does the doc normally just "see" damaged villi? I thought that is why they did a biopsy...

Anyway, no more gluten for me- the only parts I don't have the rash are my feet, hands and face.

Thanks!

Jeannine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

First, anyone else with stomach polyps? Does that have anything to do with celiacs? I've been taking prevacid, and now nexium, for about 2 years, but now don't think I have GERD, but celiacs.

Second, does the doc normally just "see" damaged villi? I thought that is why they did a biopsy...

In addition to severely damaged villi, my son was found to have 5 large polyps in his stomach. The GI said that it was probably due to the constant irritation from the gluten. She did not remove any of them, but did take a biopsy of one. It was benign, and she said the polyps would most likely go away on a gluten-free diet.

Villi damage can sometimes be seen with the naked eye, but it is more when the damage gets to the severe end of the spectrum. The reason they do a biopsy is to take small samples of the tissue to be looked at under a microscope. The pathologist looks at the samples and grades them on what is called a Marsh scale. The doctor will generally not make a diagnosis on their visual observations, but will wait for the pathology report.

Hope this helps. Glad you came through your biopsy OK, and I hope you get some answers soon.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt