This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Lectin Intolerance (nightshade Foods) Linked To Celiac Disease?

AJJ

AJJ Newbie

Can anyone tell me if lectin intolerance to nightshade foods is linked to celiac disease or what the relationship might be if any? I have had a positive TTGa blood test result (on two occassions) but a negative biopsy. I have had a geographical tongue since I was a toddler which I have linked to eating raw tomatoes. Have just discovered that tomatoes are a "nightshade" food which can cause an autoimmune reaction. Have been advised that I have latent celiac disease but have lots of other symptoms (and have had all my life now looking back). Mmm.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If you have had a postive blood test you need to be gluten free regardless of what that biopsy said. If you already know that please forgive my mentioning it.

Other food intolerance in us is common. In large part due to the fact that our damaged intestines let a lot of stuff in that normally would not go into the bloodstream. For many other food intolerances will resolve after the gut has had a time to heal. I was intolerant to nightshades myself for a while but was lucky and after about 6 months was able to eat them again. Some will remain intolerant though. The only way to tell what group your in is to challenge them when you are feeling well.

AJJ Newbie

Thank you very much for replying. I am not yet gluten free - my gastroenterologist advised me that I had latent celiac disease based on my positive blood test result and negative biopsy and said that I didn't need to make any changes to my diet at this point in time. At my initial consult he asked if I get mouth ulcers to which I answered no. I didn't connect my geographical tongue to the question or that I often notice tongue pain immediately after eating tomatoes. I have just connected that tomatoes contain lectin and that gluten also contains lectin. I also have tooth enamel defects, experienced stomach pain throughout my childhood, experience migraines (have been more frequent in the last six months, have lost 13kg (unintentially but after having a baby), have felt intense fatigue over the past six months but my iron levels are normal and have mild hair loss... I experienced nausea, vomiting and occassional diarrhoea over a two week period about two months ago which lead to me being tested inconjunction with my unexplained weight loss. I also have a positive family history - my paternal aunt was diagnosed with Celiac disease two years ago. I am wondering if all my symptoms can be linked to eating the lectin from tomatoes rather than gluten?? I am still waiting for some repeat blood test results and have made another appointment to go back to my gastroenterologist. I think there is more to the story than a negative biopsy result. Am just not sure if it will mean that I need to eliminate the tomatoes and/or gluten. Is the TTGa test specific to gluten only or can it also pick up a response to lectin?

Ursa Major Collaborator

Unfortunately, your GI sounds quite ignorant to me. If your blood tests were positive for celiac disease, you have it. A negative biopsy can NEVER rule out celiac disease, as those are hit and miss (and often it is 'miss' :huh: ).

It sounds to me like you are intolerant to nightshade foods and gluten grains (possibly other lectin foods as well, like me), and should avoid at least those.

Here is a link to a great website on lectins (which you may have found already) Open Original Shared Link

Archived