Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MJE

Test Questions

First, thanks for taking the time to look at my question and provide an answer.

I have symptoms of malabsorption -- low RBC, WBC, hematocrit, hemoglobin, magnesium, ALT, AST, creatinine, B12, vitamin D, etc. Iron is OK. I've got a whole host of physical symptoms too. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's, but I don't need meds for that yet.

My doctor tested me for celiac disease. My TTG was 1 (under 19 normal), my IGA was 7 (under 19 normal), my IGG was 0, and my total IGA was 195 (normal 71-374).

OK -- maybe it's not gluten sensitivity. But does the presence of ANY anti-gliadin IGA and ANY TTG mean something is going on? Or do most people naturally have some of this floating around in their blood? It would seem logical to think antibodies are there only if there's a problem, even subclinical, but this may be faulty reasoning.

Also, I've had a rash on my hand that seemingly is better now that I'm off wheat. IF (and it's a big IF) the rash is DH, do the antibody tests present differently?

With one lapse, I've been off gluten for three weeks. I'm not as bloated or "backed up". When I ate the sandwich and had the beer (yes, I chose it to see if I had a reaction), I was very uncomfortable the next day. More gas and discomfort, and it completely stopped my system for 36 hours. It's a very unorthodox test, but it could have some meaning.

Thanks again for your time.

Melissa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I keep reading that the blood tests are not totally reliable. You could order the genetics test from enterolab which would tell if you have the genes for celiac or gluten intolerance. If those are negative, then I'm not sure what to say, except that maybe there are more genes involved than they currently are aware of, or it's not a celiac/gluten intolerance issue. Bottom line though, if you feel better off gluten then by all means stay off gluten!

Nancy