Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Lovebug

Are Gelatin And Glycerin Safe?

I recently started taking a COQ10 supplement and although I love the extra energy and focus it is providing, I also noticed I'm having very mild celiac symptoms. Today I put it together, wondering if the COQ10 might be at fault. The ingredients listed for the softgels include gelatin and glycerin, in addition to soy lecithin. I couldn't find on my lists of unsafe ingredients either gelatin or glycerin. Are they no-nos? If not, perhaps its the soy I'm reacting to. Appreciate any thoughts.

Sue

Self-diagnosed in 2004 after 6 years of hell. Doing well on gluten-free diet, but still having occasional bouts of accidental glutening. Message board has been a godsend. Have been on since 2004 as "grannynanny," but couldn't recreate password and was shut out, having to re-register in 2007. Update: Gastroenterologist wanted to do genetic test for celiac (Mar 2008). Results showed genetic marker on G8 -- one of two genes identified as Celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I recently started taking a COQ10 supplement and although I love the extra energy and focus it is providing, I also noticed I'm having very mild celiac symptoms. Today I put it together, wondering if the COQ10 might be at fault. The ingredients listed for the softgels include gelatin and glycerin, in addition to soy lecithin. I couldn't find on my lists of unsafe ingredients either gelatin or glycerin. Are they no-nos? If not, perhaps its the soy I'm reacting to. Appreciate any thoughts.

Sue

Hey Sue,

The gelatin and glycerin should not be a gluten issue. Perhaps, the soy.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien