Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IMWalt

Betty Hagman Cheese Bread

Last night I was going to turn the oven on, even though it was 90+ degrees (my son wanted spaghetti pie, I made myself a gluten-free version), so I figured while the kitchen was hotter than H.E. double toothpicks I would make some bread.

My wife got me a bunch of Betty's cookbooks from the library. I found a recipe for cheese bread that looked good. I decided to make it without using my mixer, since I get tired of the dough climbing up the beaters and going into the mixer. So I just stirred the dry ingredients (I left out the egg replacer BTW) with a whisk and then stirred in the wet. I put it in the pan to rise, and the dough was nice and did just as it was supposed to.

The bread is good. It made a great roast beef sandwhich with spicy mustard. The cheddar cheese in the bread was a nice combo with the beef.

So, from now on, no more climbing dough for me.

Walt

Daughter diagnosed via positve blood work 09/2005 - she had negative biopsy

Sister Dx via bloodwork

Nephew has daughter with celiac disease Dx'd at age 6 months

Me - negative blood and biopsy, but HUGE dietary response. No question in my mind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Questions 1) Which book of hers did you get the recipe from?

2) Did you use anything else for the egg substitute like flax?

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Questions 1) Which book of hers did you get the recipe from?

2) Did you use anything else for the egg substitute like flax?

I di not use anything for the egg replacer. I have used the bvread for a couple sandwiches and with just butter on it. It is a lot of work but good.

The book is The Gluten Free Gourmet Revised Edition. It is a paperback.

Good luck!

Daughter diagnosed via positve blood work 09/2005 - she had negative biopsy

Sister Dx via bloodwork

Nephew has daughter with celiac disease Dx'd at age 6 months

Me - negative blood and biopsy, but HUGE dietary response. No question in my mind.