Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beth in NC

Lactose Intolerance

I'm trying to figure out how strict I need to be with the milk products. Is the lactose a problem only when it is a TRUE dairy product, or even when say...you have a cookie that has milk has one of the baked in ingredients? Rice crackers that are cheese flavored?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I get sick from anything with milk in it and so does my brother's fiancee. We both would take lactaid but now after years and years of taking it we get sick even with it. I became a vegan a year ago though so I don't eat dairy. She just recently started avoiding it (using fake cheese, fake butter, and so on) and is feeling much better.

Hi Beth,

It depends on how your body reacts to it really. If you feel it is causing you problems maybe cutting back on it more makes sense. I am assuming you are asking about typical lactose (milk sugar) intolerance symptoms like gas and D. I have read that people think casein (mik protein) can be a problem for celiacs but I don't know about any limits for the casein reactions.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul