This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Educate Your Dentist About Celiac

Travis-Hiland

Travis-Hiland Rookie

As discussed in other posts, Celiac Disease is probably the most underdiagnosed and misdiagnosed conditions in the U.S. Outside the U.S., especially Europe are much more advanced in their understanding and earlier diagnosis of the disease. In fact, physicians outside the U.S. commonaly screen chidlren every five years as a matter practice. They know that Celiac is one of the most common genetic conditions in the world.

Celiac is a malabsorbtion condition, or a disease that prevents the body from absorbing vital and basic nutrients, i.e., proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals, and in some cases, water and bile salts. If Celiac disease is left untreated, damage to the small bowel may be chronic and life-threatening, leading to associated disorders, both nutritional and immune-related, and an increased risk of intestinal lymphomas and other GI malignancies.

One of the basic nutrients pre-diagnosed Celiacs are not absorbing is calcium and Vitamin D and other nutrients required to maintain a strong enamel and strong bones. It is therefore common for Celiacs to have dental problems. My wife's dental problems were a source of great pain and frustration to her, especially because she is obsessive about her oral hygiene. She brushes her teeth and flosses religiously, yet she made twice the trips to the dentist than thre rest of the family combined. The dentists could only surmize that her teeth were "soft", an unfortunate genetic anomoly that she would have to live with. Once again, if the dentists had only been aware of the very common celiac symptom of weak or "soft" teeth, they could helped lead my wife to an earlier diagnosis, and saved not only future dental bills, but countless amounts of emotional and physicial fatigue and pain as a result of living with the pre-diagnosed condition.

So, here is another call to share information with your dentist about how Celiac is a very common cause of dental problems, and should be shared with their patients as a possible condition. It is so very easy to have their MD order a blood test to screen for the specific Antibodies related to the disease. Peace of mind can come even by ruling out the possibility.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived