This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Psychological Withdrawals

arajput7777

arajput7777 Newbie

I am new to blogging, this being my first time. has anyone experienced psychological withdrawal's after eliminating certain gluten foods? I have an intolerance for sugar too, and the food I experienced having a major panic attack with, where I felt like I was going to die, was Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal-- which BTW, should not even be sold to people. First the physical exhaustion, then 2 days later, the panic set in full force.

My fear was so intense, that I wanted to go to the hospital just to feel "safe."

I am reaching out because I simply cannot go through this alone....

Any feedback would be appreciated:)

Mirasol~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

How awful! But not entirely unexpected... Even the Vikings used moldy bread to get themselves into a crazed state to go on a rampage. The opiates go directly into our brains if we have celiac. For many of us however its not just certain gluten foods. Its any and all gluten, even just a speck of it!

I have noticed when I have gotten glutened by others I can easily go into a rage, whether expressed overtly or not. Partly justifiable of course, however I have been known to go over the top. Normally I am very even tempered and it takes a lot to rock me. Even if I just somehow have inadvertently CC'd (cross contamination from gluten) myself, I notice one of my last symptoms before it finally clears is anxiety and then depression.

I used to hear and see people who weren't there on occasion. My understanding is that 80% of people with schizophrenia have celiac or severe gluten intolerance.

You are not alone in your reaction. I wouldn't want to purposely test out the possibility of eating a cereal with gluten in it these days. I would be very afraid of the results at this point, D plus more likely to come down with some illness, sore elbows, hips, low back and neck, plus anxiety plus depression at the very least, plus canker sores, eczema, inflamed kidney etc.

The going nuts part isn't nice. It is one of the reasons I try to detox with herbs etc. after the D is gone, assuming D appeared. If you can go out and walk or even better run etc. its very healing. Drink lots of water. The main thing to realize is that its a passing state and try not to get caught up in it with too much fear.

Support from others helps however you can get it. Find people who you can talk to. Writing here on celiac.com too is a godsend since you will get support. If you need to email me, do.

It also helps to do some meditation, writing or art if you are up to it.

Meanwhile you should find out more about celiac to see if you have it or just gluten intolerance, a far less demanding condition.

Bea

LadyCyclist87 Apprentice
I am new to blogging, this being my first time. has anyone experienced psychological withdrawal's after eliminating certain gluten foods? I have an intolerance for sugar too, and the food I experienced having a major panic attack with, where I felt like I was going to die, was Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal-- which BTW, should not even be sold to people. First the physical exhaustion, then 2 days later, the panic set in full force.

My fear was so intense, that I wanted to go to the hospital just to feel "safe."

I am reaching out because I simply cannot go through this alone....

Any feedback would be appreciated:)

Mirasol~

Oh my goodness yes...you are NOT alone!!

I do get panic attacks, but whether it is a direct result of being glutened or withdrawal symptoms is questionable...however, I think it could be both. I do lose inability to concentrate on things that need to get done, I become very irritable, irrationally anxious, etc. I literally drive myself up the walls during this time and ALWAYS have this intense desire for anything that I cannot eat. I feel like I'll go out of my mind if I can't get it.

Don't be afraid to reach out for help if you feel you're having a hard time dealing with your diagnosis. I have, and if you find the right person with an open mind, it really does help. We also need to remember that it will be so much better for us in the long run keeping our bodies healthy...

Good luck with your symptoms!

LadyCyclist87 Apprentice

Oh -- of course, if you need (additional) support, feel free to send me a private message (PM). I love meeting new people and helping out. :-)

arajput7777 Newbie
Oh -- of course, if you need (additional) support, feel free to send me a private message (PM). I love meeting new people and helping out. :-)

How do I send you a PM? I am not even sure if I'm writing you now, to correct location that is:) This blogging stuff is all so new to me! I ended up sending my message to myself before I got it to go to the forum--ah:)

Mirasol

Archived