This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weleda, Dr Hauschka And Derma E Skin Care

rbeccatexas

rbeccatexas Rookie

Hi everyone,

I was doing a little research this morning on the Dr Hauschka website and this is what I read in regards to the alcohol they use in most of their products...

Alcohol

A food-grade ethyl alcohol (ethanol) from organically grown wheat. Many plants are extracted in alcohol because it extracts the widest variety of plant constituents. Alcohol also serves as a natural emulsifier, preservative and carrier, helping ingredients penetrate the skin. Alcohol is not drying to the skin when part of a carefully formulated Dr.Hauschka composition. Our alcohol is derived from a fermentation and distillation process and is gluten-free.

Found in...

Rose Body Wash, Blackthorn Body Wash, Cleansing Cream, Cleansing Milk, Clarifying Toner, Deodorant Floral, Deodorant Fresh, Eye Solace, Firming Mask, Facial Steam Bath, Facial Toner, Hand Cream, Neem Hair Lotion, Neem Hair Oil, Lemon Bath, Lavender Bath, Mascara, Moisturizing Day Cream, Moisturizing Mask, Liquid Eyeliner.

I then went onto Weleda.com and they have pretty much the same description of their alcohol and it's in almost all of their skin care.

I kept wondering why my skin would be so dry and itchy after using the Almond cleanser and now I know it's the alcohol. Even though it's gluten free, it's still made from wheat. It's a bummer because these are two of my favorite lines. The good thing is all of Derma E products are gluten free except for 3 of them...their website reads...

Gluten Free

derma e

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

"Our alcohol is derived from a fermentation and distillation process and is gluten-free."

If the alcohol is distilled (and this seems to be the case, according to this quote), it is considered safe for Celiac.

There may be a few who will react to minute amounts of trace gluten in wheat based alcohol, but generally most people with Celiac Disease will not react to such small amounts, if even detectable.

Archived