Rate this topic

Hi all,

I had a couple quick questions regarding Imodium.

I lived on Imodium for the past 10 years (2-4 daily) to help slow my gastrointestinal transit time and to help with the dreaded D. I'm 2 months into a gluten free diet (diagnosed with celiac disease 2 months ago), and have seen substantial improvement. I find that I still need the Imodium though to help slow down transit times (which are getting better every week-- but still not 100% back).

I believe that the Imodium may be the source of one of my most persistent, common symptoms that I now daily experience: a painful tightness/discomfort in my rectal area. (I've heard that Imodium works in part by tightening the rectal/anal muscles, so I'm not surprised by my symptoms).

I've tried going off the Imodium but have been unable to do so. (I think my body is just used to it, having been on it for 10+ years). When off Imodium or when I am reacting to some food, and having a lot of associated BMs, the discomfort is substantially less.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar sensation in their rectal area. Has anyone else lalso had a hard time getting off Imodium, and if so, did you find any particular way to help the transition?

Thanks!

Tom

I find that I still need the Imodium though to help slow down transit times (which are getting better every week-- but still not 100% back).

Sorry I have no intelligent observations about Imodium, but my diarrhea, fast transit times, and perpetual gurgling didn't go away until I quit dairy and (especially) fruit. Adding massive quantities of steamed vegetables probably helped, too. Just a thought.