homemaker

Cross Contamination Dilema

Rate this topic

I have a little dilemma...prior to going gluten-free ...I was baking bread for the entire family.

I have had a wonderful time baking my gluten-free Bread myself and having great success!

My dilemma is this...

How can I avoid cross contamination, other than cleaning and using

separate utensils?

AND

I presume it would be NOT a good idea if using a bread machine to use the same one...

I prepared my loaves of bread by hand prior to going gluten-free....

Any ideas? Tips? Suggestions?

Thanxs

I have a little dilemma...prior to going gluten-free ...I was baking bread for the entire family.

I have had a wonderful time baking my gluten-free Bread myself and having great success!

My dilemma is this...

How can I avoid cross contamination, other than cleaning and using

separate utensils?

AND

I presume it would be NOT a good idea if using a bread machine to use the same one...

I prepared my loaves of bread by hand prior to going gluten-free....

Any ideas? Tips? Suggestions?

Thanxs

I wish I could learn how to bake bread!!! I'm sure it's MUCH better than the loaves of gluten free bread I buy at the store! Anyway, I have a couple suggestions:

1) Make sure you have two completely different prep areas for your bread making. One should be strictly your gluten free area and should never ever be used for making the other type of bread. That will always be the place you make your gluten free bread.

2) Get another bread maker. I know that with most of those bread makers you can wash the pan part, but I would still worry about glutteny flour being left in the machine and thus CC issues. You could simply get two different color bread makers. The red one is always for your gluten free bread -- any one else looking at it knows that red means "STOP" and do not put any gluten ingredients in here. The other one could be white or whatever color you already have.

3) Buy two sets of utensils -- one for your gluten bread and one for your gluten free bread. I know I have read of several people on here that will buy a certain brand of utensil just for their gluten free cooking. The rest of family knows that the pampered chef utensils (or whatever brand you choose) are ONLY for gluten free cooking. They are not ever to be used with gluten containing products. That way you lessen your chances of CC even more.

Hope that helps some!