nmlove

Lasagna Recipe

Rate this topic

For a bit now I've been craving some good old lasagna. And while confident a veggie lasagna without the cheese would probably be ok, I just really craved a good cheesy/meaty lasagna. I ran across a brand name recipe in a magazine and thought it worth a try. It turned out great. Even my husband liked it and he's not a lasagna guy. I served it with a warm mushroom and spinach salad with craisins and a whipped up dressing (balasamic vinegar, olive oil, bit of agave nectar).

For the lasagna, cook 9 gluten-free noodles according to directions. I used Tinkinyada.

Brown up a pound of meat (I used ground turkey). Add 2 c Prego mushroom sauce (about 1/2 jar).

Use cream of mushroom soup. Use can + 1/4 c "milk." But I made my own soup and reduced it down to the same consistency. My recipe adapted from Go Dairy Free by Alisa Fleming. Whisk together: 1 1/4 c alternative milk (rice), 2 Tbsp gluten-free flour, 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil, 1 Tbsp cornstarch, pinch of garlic powder, pinch of onion powder, some salt and pepper. Add a small can of pieces/stems mushrooms. Heat on medium, whisking continuously until you reach desired consistency.

To assemble lasagna, put 1/2 of meat mixture in 2 quart casserole dish. Top with 3 noodles. 2 c of soup on top, 3 noodles, the rest of the meat, last 3 noodles and finally the rest of the soup. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Rest for 10. Enjoy.

If you do want cheese, the recipe states to top with mozarella or Italian blend. After 30 minutes, put under broiler for 10 minutes to brown and then rest for 10. My husband and kids opted for cheese and I just put theirs on top of the noodles once on their plate.