aimee0421

Accidental Ingestion Of Gluten

Rate this topic

I am very new to this and after going gluten free for 2 days, I misread a label and ingested about 2 tablespoons of salsa containing gluten. Previous to the ingestion almost all my symptoms were greatly decreased...I finally had energy and tummy troubles were at a bare minimum, however since the salsa on 1/04/10, I have been extremely tired and staying awake is a major ordeal...is this normal and when will this go away.

I am very new to this and after going gluten free for 2 days, I misread a label and ingested about 2 tablespoons of salsa containing gluten. Previous to the ingestion almost all my symptoms were greatly decreased...I finally had energy and tummy troubles were at a bare minimum, however since the salsa on 1/04/10, I have been extremely tired and staying awake is a major ordeal...is this normal and when will this go away.

This is definitely normal. It will go away as long as you stay gluten free, but how long it will take depends on how sensitive you are to gluten. Luckily you have only been on the diet for two days, but in the future you may have an even more severe reaction to accidental ingestion because your body won't be used to it anymore.

I have been gluten-free for two years now, and accidentally got a boost in my smoothie that contained wheat. As soon as I finished drinking it, I just fell asleep. Then I threw up all that night. It usually takes me a month or two to start getting some energy back, but it can take up to six months before the villi start absorbing vitamins again (if you have celiac).

This is definitely normal. It will go away as long as you stay gluten free, but how long it will take depends on how sensitive you are to gluten. Luckily you have only been on the diet for two days, but in the future you may have an even more severe reaction to accidental ingestion because your body won't be used to it anymore.

I have been gluten-free for two years now, and accidentally got a boost in my smoothie that contained wheat. As soon as I finished drinking it, I just fell asleep. Then I threw up all that night. It usually takes me a month or two to start getting some energy back, but it can take up to six months before the villi start absorbing vitamins again (if you have celiac).

Thank you for responding so quickly. To be quite honest I am only self diagnosing (stupid, I know)but my husband and I do not currently have insurance and so testing is out for right now, however I have been plagued by these symptoms for over 12 years (diarrhea within 1-2 hours after eating, rash, pain in upper right of abdomen, sluggish all the time, sweaty hands, etc) however I was quite embarrassed by the symptoms and did not fervently seek out much help although when we had insurance I was told IBS, however the normal foods they tell you to avoid made no difference. I even went on a strict veggie salad only diet for a week to see if there would be any relief however I like malt vinegar on my salads (not knowing anything of celiac at the time and after researching celiac I am personally convinced, with malt being a gluten. After only a couple of days of being gluten-free I never knew I could feel this great and I actually had an almost normal bm (1st in over 12 years). Sorry to be so graphic however I thought this was just how I was and I am truly surprised that I felt that great after only a couple of days ...really hoping this sleepiness passes quickly:)

It's not stupid at all -- you'll find many on this forum who, even with health insurance, are self-diagnosed either because they did not want to undergo an endoscopy and biopsy, or their DR's were not well-informed about celiac disease and were no help to them anyway.

I'm lucky to have a young DR in the family (my sister-in-law) who has more up-to-date education and was the one who suggested I get tested for celiac disease.

Also, giving information about bms is sometimes a normal occurance around here (lol). We quickly humble ourselves in favour of getting answers, sharing experiences and letting others know they're not alone :)

Welcome & I hope you feel better quickly. Drink lots of water, you can take vitamin supplements (that are gluten-free of course) such as B12 and Iron to help boost your energy and also helps reduce D. I use Old Elpaso salsa and it is gluten free.

Take care,

Jillian

Thank you for responding so quickly. To be quite honest I am only self diagnosing (stupid, I know)but my husband and I do not currently have insurance and so testing is out for right now, however I have been plagued by these symptoms for over 12 years (diarrhea within 1-2 hours after eating, rash, pain in upper right of abdomen, sluggish all the time, sweaty hands, etc) however I was quite embarrassed by the symptoms and did not fervently seek out much help although when we had insurance I was told IBS, however the normal foods they tell you to avoid made no difference. I even went on a strict veggie salad only diet for a week to see if there would be any relief however I like malt vinegar on my salads (not knowing anything of celiac at the time and after researching celiac I am personally convinced, with malt being a gluten. After only a couple of days of being gluten-free I never knew I could feel this great and I actually had an almost normal bm (1st in over 12 years). Sorry to be so graphic however I thought this was just how I was and I am truly surprised that I felt that great after only a couple of days ...really hoping this sleepiness passes quickly:)