columbakss

Will Autoimmune Drugs Interfere With Celiac Testing

Rate this topic

I have celiac disease and have since I was a baby, but was recently re diagnosed with it....long story. I know it tends to run in families so my mom was tested. Starting with a severe car crash about 15 yrs ago she started to develop extreme fatigue and depression, though she was not critically injured in the crash. During this time she was under extreme stress and had a few knee surgeries from a life long of running. She was eventually diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, then about 5 yrs later RA and IBS. For the past 2 yrs she has been out of control with her diseases, and due to some nerve pain or numbness thery are watching for MS. So anyway after I was rediagnosed 6 months ago, she was tested for Celiac and came back with normal ranges, but could that have been caused by the gammet of immuno suppressing drugs she takes on a daily basis?

It seems that it might, although I don't have any research to show you. The response to gluten in an immune response so if your immune cells were suppressed I would think that you could get a negative response.

There can be a number of reasons why we would show a false negative. I would encourage her to give the diet a good strict try after the testing is complete. It sounds like she could identify with my sig. :( If I had to wait for positive blood work I would be dead. It took a very long time for me to get diagnosed and interestingly my gene is one that is considered a gene for RA in the US although it is recognized as a celiac gene in other countries. I think she will get a great deal of relief with the diet. With you being diagnosed she really needs to try the diet. In my family both my children did show positive on blood testing even though I don't. Don't know why but it sounds like you guys are facing the same situation.

For example steroids are known to make the villi look normal despite of celiac.