coolcatcourt

Unsure If I Should Be Tested

Rate this topic

Hello All,

I am new to the celiac.com boards. I am 21 and have been getting sick from food for as long as I can remember. Right now I'm on a gluten free diet and have been for a couple weeks. I find that my stomach issues are gone, but I'm hungry all the time. That shouldn't be the case, right? Am I not eating enough of the right kind of food?

Also, I'm a little overweight. Aren't most celiacs quite thin? I'm really confused and have read so much literature and am basically lost. Any help is appreciated.

HI Coolcat,

You should lose the hungry all the time feeling. I lost it after about 3 weeks. I quelled it with a lot of water, usually warm or hot tea. I still get it sometimes when I get glutenated. Keep to whole foods, less processed the better. Then you will know for sure you are not getting in the gluten, that will help you recover and repair faster.

Not all Celiacs are overweight. I lost about 7 pounds, didn't have a lot of weight to lose but now I look and feel so much better!! I have been gluten free for 4 weeks. Some of the weight could be inflammation and that should go away. Keep up the liquids mostly water of course to remove all the toxins that are going to leave you system! Good riddance.

Welcome to the forums, keep searching around and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

Hi Coolcat. No, there are overweight people out there to. At my heaviest I was 205. Couldn't lose weight no matter what diet I tried. I have lost 35 lbs so far without even trying. As for being hungry, yes you will be hungry for a while then it will gradually ease up. But try to eat every couple of hours at least. I nibble on something that has a quite of bit of protien in it all day long. I eat more than I ever used too. Whuch is something that is very unusual for me.

Pre gluten free, I would eat maybe 2 sometimes 3 times a day, altogether maybe 1500 to 1800 calories a day. Just peck at my food like a bird and never lose any weight at all. Then I went gluten free and I eat all day long and I consume upwards of 2500 calories a day and i'm losing about 3 lbs a month. Go figure. According to everything i've read here it's because I wasn't absorbing nutients due to the gluten.

Anyway, I am always reading and researching everything about this and after almost a year gluten free, I am still amazed by what gluten can do to you.

I hope you get to feeling better. Vicky