mlarson

What Could It Be?

Rate this topic

Ok, I have been gluten free for almost a year. I instantly felt better after going gluten free and was feeling fantastic until around the end of November 2009. SInce then I have been experiencing symptoms similar to what I had before going gluten free. My stomach burns, gets bloated feeling, gassy, and really grumbly, and constipation. I notice it almost every evening, it never fails! I seem to be living on Gas-X as my crutch.

Its been going on for 4 months now and I can't seem to figure out what is happening. I've checked and double checked everything I eat.... The only thing I can trace it back to is when I got my hair cut (4 months ago) and changed shampoo. A few days ago it dawned on me that the shampoo contained WHEAT! I don't get skin rashes or anything of the sort, but is it possible that the shampoo is causing my symptoms to flare up no matter what I do?? Or could it be something else??

HELP! It's making me crazy!!!

I suppose it could be possible for some of the shampoo to run down your face and get on or in your mouth and cause symptoms if you're especially sensitive. It can't hurt to try switching to a gluten-free shampoo and see whether it relieves your symptoms.

On the other hand, it could be additional sensitivities. I have a reaction to nightshade vegetables very similar to the one I have to gluten that didn't turn up until I had all the gluten out of my system. Reading around on this forum you'll see others have had similar reactions to soy, dairy, eggs and many other foods. Do you keep a food log? that might help you pin down what, if anything, is causing a reaction.

People accidently ingest shampoo and water while in the shower.

A safe test... Put a handful of gluten free baking soda into your shampoo and carry on as normal, when/if you get the taste baking soda ~ then you now it is proabably the shampoo.