Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Sheep

Allergy Shots For Gluten Intolerance?

Hi everyone, I am a 20 year old male who for the last year or so I have been experiencing a lot of weird symptoms that only appear to be getting worse as time progresses. My symptoms for at least 1-2 years include this constant feeling of fatigue and lethargy almost every single day. On top of this I have also been experiencing diarrhea after meals almost every day. In addition, for the last 8 months or so Ive been getting this popping/crackling noise in both my ears every single time i swallow, every single day.

What bothers me the most is I don't feel like the person i used to, I feel like I am constantly having trouble coming up with words to say or things to remember or even trying to memorize my homework. When I'm in class I feel like everything the teacher is saying is just going right through my head.

I've seen a couple doctors and have gotten my blood tested and we are now coming to the conclusion that it is probably allergies, I am currently taking nasal steroids a long with a daily allergy pill called singular. For the most part, these don't help at all. I stumbled across this website and after reading all of you're posts, I'm really starting to think I might be allergic to gluten. Is this something that would make sense based on my symptoms?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Skippy, welcome to the board. Your problems sound very similar to mine. You'll find plenty of help and answers from the wonderful ppl here.

Make sure you tell the doctors the allergy shots are not working and get him to run celiac tests, don't be fazed if the bloodwork comes back negative but make sure you ask for a biopsy to confirm. If both come back negative given your age it may be that no villi damage has yet been done to a measurable extent bearing in mind biopsy are far from 100% fool proof. The good news is a gluten-free diet is not a prescription and something you can start whenever you want - make sure it's strict though, one crumb of bread is enough to destroy all your hard work.

Yes I had been dx'd with MS for 16 years. Within last 6 mons. found out it's celiac. Writing a book about it with my doctor. Amazing!

Now that's a book I want to read! You will let us know when it's finished, right? B)

Wow, so many interesting stories here, and good advice as well. Thanks everyone!

As for the Alzheimer's, I thought I had seen something one that once, during my search for answers. It's something I want to look into more. I know the owner of a small, local group home for Alzheimer's patients, and a few of them seem to young to have Alzheimer's. But really, even the elderly ones....I wonder how many of them are celiac? I don't know the owner of this home well, so I don't know how she would take it if I mentioned what I've found re. gluten and Alzheimer's, but once I've researched it better I was thinking about mentioning it to her. But then, even if she completely agrees, she can't simply start taking folks off of gluten, without the family's permission, then no doubt testing, etc. etc.

So...who knows. It would be nice to raise awareness of this though.